PDA

View Full Version : How much to charge for this?

NatalieM
31-05-2012, 1:38pm
I've had a company ask me to quote for use on one of my images.

They want to use it for up to 1000 printed post cards for internal advertising, digital postcards, and use on their website.

I looked on Getty Images and quoted them initially (they just wanted internal 500 copies) $250 but use on their website seems a lot so now I have no idea.

I looked on Getty again and one said $5k!

Does anyone have any advice? It seems a reasonable large company with well known clients.

ricktas
31-05-2012, 1:58pm
Asyou have found, prices can vary considerably. How 'unique' is your photo that they want to use. Can they get it (similar/same) from someone else, etc. The more unique your photo and the more they want that exact photo, will set the market price

I @ M
31-05-2012, 2:05pm
I will take a different tack on it.

You have priced yourself too cheaply and now they know how cheaply that you can be bought for. I fail to see any way at all for you to make any money ( of a worthwhile nature ) from this deal and suggest that the company will even try to negotiate a cheaper rate so that you are further behind than you started.

Do meaningful research on pricing before you submit quotes. Once you are known as an easy mark for cheap photos that is all the work that you will get.

NatalieM
31-05-2012, 2:16pm
I did though and $250 for small internal advertising seemed reasonable. Most of the prices I found for web use were just $25 to $150!

Either way, even if I make $750 or so, that IS worthwhile to me. That's a lot of money for me. To others, it's nothing.

I don't think it's a particularly unique image. It's a Gorilla baby and mother together. They could probably get a similar stock image.

Anyway I was thinking $500 for the postcard, $150 for electronic use of the same, and $150 for use on the web?

NatalieM
31-05-2012, 2:18pm
OR, $500 for the postcard, $500 for the electronic version and $150 for the web?

Kerrie
31-05-2012, 5:01pm
How about 50 c per card, and $250 for use online.

Just a thought.

With a business, seeing the r o i ( return on investment) and broken down per item may be speaking their language.