PDA

View Full Version : Tips for bouncing flash with a black glass ceiling?

etherial
26-05-2012, 4:09pm
I'm come across something I didn't expect. Tonight I'm doing some pics for a friends 21st birthday party and looking at the venue's website I was feeling ok about using bounce flash off the ceiling which I've had plenty of success with in the past. 580EXII on the 7D.

But I just got a call letting me know that the "ceiling is a reflection of the floor". It is a black glass that sounds highly reflective. :eek:

So I'm not sure what to expect now. I'm thinking I'll just have to try and make use of walls a bit more, or try and use a wide zoom on the flash head and not bounce it directly above my subjects?

I'd welcome any advice!?!?

willl
28-05-2012, 12:33pm
I think you're on the right track with using the walls to bounce off. Using this approach, keep in mind when shooting where the wall is and how light coming in from that direction will fall on your subject.

And obviously, as you move around, twist the flash head so it stays pointed at the wall. Hopefully they don't tell you the wall is also black :P :crike:

If the flash is staying on your camera, perhaps a small bounce card will also help. So some light can bounce forward via the card, and also off the wall.

Have a look and follow the links to other posts in this article by Neil van Niekirk - http://neilvn.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/4-bouncing-flash/