PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D7000 taking multiple exposures

Glenda
23-05-2012, 4:11pm
Every time I use either the 2sec delay or the remote timer the camera takes 3 exposures - all identical. I don't have exposure bracketing on.
There is a multiple exposure in the menu but that is also off and I don't think I've ever used it. Any ideas as to why and how can I stop it.

livio
23-05-2012, 6:33pm
Hi Sure I have a D7000 myself and I really think it is a good camera. You can do the following

1) Use the menu and switch Multiple Exposures Off
2) Use the dial at the top to use Single Shot rather than Continuous slow or Continuous High. I think I read somewhere that once you set up for multiple exposure if noting happens say after 30 seconds it will start taking the shots for you. I've used this feature once and worked even though the photo was fairly lame.

arthurking83
23-05-2012, 9:24pm
Every time I use either the 2sec delay or the remote timer the camera takes 3 exposures - all identical. I don't have exposure bracketing on.

If they are identical, then it makes sense that you don't have exposure bracketing turned on!!.... if you had exposure bracketing turned on, then they won't be identical, they'd have different exposures for each of the three images.
So, maybe you have another bracketing feature turned on, unknowingly :confused013

You can have WB bracketing, or flash bracketing.. or any other bracketing feature that I don't know that the D7K has available in it's feature set.

For a delayed single shot, the camera will only capture a single frame, even if you have the menu mode set to continuous shooting.
The only way the camera will capture multiple exposures is say with the remote, you press and hold the remote button.
A single quick press(not hold) will only capture a single image with delay activated , unless you have one of the bracketing features enabled.

If you have used the in camera multiple exposure feature(via the menu system .. not a bracketing feature) .. no matter how many exposures you capture, you will only have one file from this multiple exposure feature.
The multiple exposure feature is not the same as continuous shooting .. so if you have three identical images after the short burst, you're safe in that multiple exposure is NOT the culprit.

Going by the use of the remote timer, where no hand is present in the actuation of the shutter release, then there is a high probability that you have a bracketing feature enabled in the camera .. question is, which one?

From memory, one of the Function buttons is a quick and easy access to the bracketing feature .. maybe you have inadvertently pressed this and rotated a dial and accidentally enabled a bracketing burst and haven't yet realised.

I @ M
24-05-2012, 6:25am
Some non OEM brand corded and wireless remote shutter triggers are known to cause double shutter release on Nikon cameras, however if you are regularly experiencing triple shutter releases I would investigate your set up in the menu system.

Self timer mode triggers the shutter with a programmable delay (2, 5, 10, or 20 seconds) after the shutter button is pressed. The delay is set using Custom Setting c3, which also allows the D7000 to be programmed to capture anywhere from one to nine shots after the timer countdown has elapsed, with an interval of 0.5, one, two, or three seconds between shots.

If these don't apply to you, try doing a factory reset on the camera and see if that cures it.

Glenda
24-05-2012, 6:46am
Thanks guys will have to find out if I have another bracketing type set accidentally. I've only had the camera a couple of months so may have inadvertently set something without knowing. It's just annoying now but if we're away I don't want to waste my memory card on exposures I don't need.

arthurking83
24-05-2012, 8:33am
An alternative to chasing down an complicated menu system is to post a single image sample here, but with the condition that the image has to be either a jpg straight out of the camera, or a converted raw file, using Nikon's software. It should be converted via Nikon's software(ViewNX is fine!!) as the Nikon software will preserve all exif data without any convolutions as other software is prone to doing.
In the exif data will be the relevant camera setting, so we can help you to track down the culprit setting causing this.

File only has to be small and uploaded via the attachment method, not via Flickr or any other image hosting service, as some thirdparty services also break exif data too.

Glenda
24-05-2012, 2:12pm
Thanks arthurking83 that would be a real help as I'm still finding my way (or trying) around the menu and functions. I've taken an image in jpeg, I used the 2 sec delay so I would have one of the 3 duplicate exposures to upload, and resized only using the Nikon software.

arthurking83
24-05-2012, 3:06pm
Just checked the EXIF data and!!

Self timer mode triggers the shutter with a programmable delay (2, 5, 10, or 20 seconds) after the shutter button is pressed. The delay is set using Custom Setting c3, which also allows the D7000 to be programmed to capture anywhere from one to nine shots after the timer countdown has elapsed, with an interval of 0.5, one, two, or three seconds between shots.

Andrew was right on the money here :th3:

you have this C3 menu item set to 3 shots, 0.5s interval.

according to EXIFTool "SelfTimerShotCount = 3"

Glenda
24-05-2012, 3:21pm
Thank you so much at least I now know where to look to change it. Goodness knows how I set it in the first place.