PDA

View Full Version : D700 battery issues

Tommo1965
20-05-2012, 9:28am
so today I pulled my D700 out of the bag while packing for a trip to the UK..deciding on what lenses to take and flashes etc...

I've three Nikon battery's and the one in the body was low so I grabbed a full charged one and snapped off a few frames...then all hell broke loose { not really but added for dramatic effect} ....the camera would fire a few times then hang..it sounded like the mirror was stuck up..then Id hit the shutter button again , the mirror came down and error would flash...at first I was like a headless chicken, thinking that's right go wrong now just as Im about to go on holiday and to a wedding where both my daughters are bridesmaids..Bloody camera

I forgot to add that at the same time as I slipped a new battery in, I also changed lenses..so at first I thought it may be a bad lens contact so I cleaned the contacts and tried another lens..still the same

so I looked at the battery and even though it showed full charge..I put it on the charger for a while..but still the same camera craziness ..but with a different battery and Im pleased to report that the the camera is fine......just a stressed out owner now .

the reason I post this..is in case anyone else experiences the same mental camera..check the battery..even if the camera is telling you its fine

now to buy new batteries

ricktas
20-05-2012, 9:43am
Batteries, like everything else, can fail. They have a limited life and some fail sooner than others. Glad you found the cause and a solution.

arthurking83
20-05-2012, 10:18am
Maybe clean up the battery contacts, or the camera power contacts too.
The camera battery contacts are hard to get too, and clean due to their location of course, but a bit of cleaning fluid on the end of a good quality cotton bud may help.

Are the batteries genuine or knockoffs?

Tommo1965
20-05-2012, 10:55am
batteries are genuine .....

contacts on battery's are like new

Viper
21-05-2012, 2:01pm
I had exactly the same issue, even though the battery showed it was fully charged, and in the setup menu/ battery info where it shows you supposedly how much charge life the battery should have it shows as 0 in charging life. I threw that battery out and bought a new genuine one.
Now i feel better too, at least some one else had the same issue.....phew!!!

Blueywa
28-05-2012, 4:43pm
I try not to leave batteries in the camera for lengthy periods.
If we aren't being lied to by manufacturers; recharging before low warning doesnt do any harm (e.g. no memory effect problems).
I love the rapid charge units, none of the old 16 hr charge times.
When I bought the camera I also grabbed extra batteries 'just in case'.
Enjoy the holiday. :)