PDA

View Full Version : I got sick of the housework.

I @ M
18-05-2012, 4:32pm
There has been quite a bit of talk about the D800 needing the absolute best lenses to get any decent results so I conducted a highly scientific unscientific test involving an old lens.

Wide open at the long end of the zoom 1/250 iso200 70mm F/2.8

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9582534/s-exp_20120518_100207.JPG

Then at 35mm hand held with the close up facility locked in 1/320 iso200 F/5.6

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9582534/s-exp_20120518_102510c.JPG

The above is a screen view crop at 100% of this one. The crossword grid measures 42mm in real life, on this screen it is already at 90mm, so twice life size. :)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9582534/s-exp_20120518_102510.JPG

ameerat42
18-05-2012, 4:45pm
(Well, it dust goes to show: it's puzzling what "people" say! Here's some anecdotal evidence to consider, and there's surely no dust on the sensor now!)

And you should see what legacy lenses I'm using. It's only the photographer that's at fault in my case.

ving
18-05-2012, 4:47pm
who'd say something totally wierd like that! crickey thats just strange. something a salad chef might say!
oh your vacuum cleaner has a crackin it .

:p

I @ M
18-05-2012, 4:53pm
(Well, it dust goes to show: it's puzzling what "people" say! Here's some anecdotal evidence to consider, and there's surely no dust on the sensor now!)

:lol: Of course there is no dust on the sensor!!!! It's a Dyson and if you trim about 15mm of either side of the standard nozzle it fits beaut in the mirror box. :eek:

oh your vacuum cleaner has a crackin it .

Yeah :( , happened when I vacuumed the garage floor and accidentally sucked up a ving nut. :p

Lance B
18-05-2012, 6:11pm
That's some impressive resolution, Andrew!

Also, next time use a clean paper for demonstrations! :D

I @ M
19-05-2012, 7:08am
Lance, I'm not sure what was on the paper :o, I didn't see it in the viewfinder and I'm not going back to investigate. :D

jim
19-05-2012, 1:26pm
I thought that all that talk about needing ultra-sharp lenses for the D800 sounded like a plot to make you buy more expensive glass! Excellent idea for a test.

I @ M
19-05-2012, 4:46pm
I thought that all that talk about needing ultra-sharp lenses for the D800 sounded like a plot to make you buy more expensive glass! Excellent idea for a test.

Jim, I feel that this body is like so many others in that they give the best results with very good lenses and it appears that there some golden oldies that shine in conjunction with it.
The old 35-70 has always been a well regarded lens and seems to be right at home with the D800 but for the ultimate results that the body is capable of I reckon that only some really top of the line gear is going to cut the mustard.

mongo
19-05-2012, 7:09pm
Jim, I feel that this body is like so many others in that they give the best results with very good lenses and it appears that there some golden oldies that shine in conjunction with it.
The old 35-70 has always been a well regarded lens and seems to be right at home with the D800 but for the ultimate results that the body is capable of I reckon that only some really top of the line gear is going to cut the mustard.

So far, Mongo's experience is that it give outstanding results with very good glass INCLUDING some golden oldies (300 f2.8 AI-s). (some of which images have already been posted)
It can also give really excellent results with even middle-of -the-road lenses, e.g. Mongo's recently acquired second hand Tamron 24-135 SP film lens (for $170) (some of which images have already been posted)
Mongo is yet to try it out with other lenses in due course. However, his expectation is that whatever looked good on the old D200, in similar circumstances, the D800 results will be even better.
Mongo may make it his mission to try his crappiest lenses just to see what the results will be now that the issue appears to have been raised....watch this space.

BTW, the whole housework thing......There is nothing sexy about an image of Mongo ironing his fury smalls :D

I @ M
19-05-2012, 8:14pm
Mongo, I hear you and perhaps if I rephrase things a little what I think will be clearer.

The D800 does seem to give some lenses a kick along however I still reckon that the images we are seeing from rapidly increasing sources which are definitely in the outstanding, excellent and very good categories are still not the ultimate that the camera is capable of.
Those images will come in time and they will probably be produced when skilled operators learn how the camera behaves and also have the top end of town lenses on them.
In the meantime the likes of you and I will just happily plod along with a new tool that is enhancing our abilities. :)

As for housework, ironing and anything furry --- I am simply brushing that truly horrible mental picture from my tiny mind.:Doh: