PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Hobart

B D H
15-05-2012, 7:14pm
Hi all you happy Taswegians

I'm flying into Hobart near the end of the month to catch up with my sister in Gretna
I,ll be in tassie for 5 days, I'd love to know of any points of interests apart from the Cascade brewery,( already on the agenda) where we could occupy ourselves while my sister is at work
We'll have a car to get around so anything that could be included in a day trip from Hobart would be of interest too

I'm quite excited about my visit as its one of the few places in Oz I've never been - do I need a passport ? :D

cheers
Bryan

ricktas
15-05-2012, 7:51pm
Yes you need a passport, we do not let just any old riff-raff in!

Richmond (oldest bridge in Aus)
Gretna, means close to Russell Falls and Mt Field National Park.
Lake Pedder is a nice drive away too

jupiter618
15-05-2012, 8:03pm
I've only visited so the locals can tell you better than me, but for what it's worth here's my advice.

Drive to the top of Mt. Wellington is a must. Amazing, but wear warm clothes! You have been warned.
The whole Franklin warf to Salamanca area is beautiful if you're into harbours and ships and heritage buildings.
A good day trip, South West of Hobart is the Mount Field National Park which has stunning rainforest and amazing waterfalls, especially Russell Falls.
In the other direction Port Aurthur is a photographers dream if you like ruined buildings and architectural interest.
The area around Richmond is absolutely stunning countryside, much like England, rolling green pastures, quaint cottages, bridges etc.

ScottM
16-05-2012, 12:11pm
Depending what date you get here, you might also be around for the long weekend meet!

Old Skool
16-05-2012, 12:41pm
Just been there and definitely recommend a visit to Mona - Museum of old and new art. Fantastic place and you can take photos ( but no flash) Can kill 2 hrs up to all day there.
http://mona.net.au/

B D H
18-05-2012, 2:17pm
Thanks for the info, guys
MONA looks to be worth a look as well as port arthur etc
ScottM I'd have to say the member meet up is probably a no starter as my sister probably has other plans/ideas for the w/end,

RIFF RAFF !! I expect nothing less than red carpet & a key to the city

ScottM
26-05-2012, 11:02am
Pity you'll be a bit late for hop picking in the Bushy Park area BDH. If you don't mind the cold either, Mt Field isn't too far away, or other small towns / lakes further west.