PDA

View Full Version : The Nikon 6mm f2.8 fish-eye on a D800

ricktas
13-05-2012, 12:00pm
Want to see the $100,000 lens on a D800. This lens is rarely seen as it was made to order, and has a viewing angle of 220 degrees. Yep more than 180 degrees, so it can see behind itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIDbw4gjunY

arthurking83
13-05-2012, 12:09pm
What's interesting about this lens as well ..

there's one for sale in England for ₤100,000 ..... Pounds!! ... Sterling.... not 'of rice' or fish, or anything like that.

It won't sell tho, the last one I know of that sold went for US$30K on a buy it now on Ebay, but from a reputable store.

arthurking83
13-05-2012, 12:10pm
What's interesting about this lens as well ..

there's one for sale in England for ₤100,000 ..... Pounds!! ... Sterling.... not 'of rice' or fish, or anything like that.

It won't sell tho, the last one I know of that sold went for US$30K on a buy it now on Ebay, but from a reputable store.

EDIT: Oops! should have watched the video first :p

ricktas
13-05-2012, 12:12pm
EDIT: Oops! should have watched the video first :p

Yep, it's already been sold!

Bennymiata
14-05-2012, 9:42pm
And did they throw in the old Nikon F camera too?

Where would you get a UV filter for it?
What about a polorizer? :D

arthurking83
14-05-2012, 10:04pm
it has built in filters, but not polarisers nor UV(blocking).
Some orange, red and stuff like that(I suppose for B&W photography).

They're built into the rear of the lens near the mount, like they're done on the telephoto type lenses. But they can't be removed I think.

ricktas
14-05-2012, 10:07pm
I have a nikon lens that lets you drop filters into it, near the rear element. It has a little trapdoor, that unscrews and you can then drop a filter in and close the trapdoor. I don't have any filters for it, and have never really tried to source any. Its a lovely old 300mm f4 lens.

arthurking83
14-05-2012, 10:42pm
Yeah! that's how it was generally done in the telephoto lens design department.

Many of these old Nikon fishies had the same filter type.
The difference between the drop in type(now sized at 52mm and I'm guessing your old 300/4 has a 39mm filter size?) .. anyhow, the difference is that you can pop in just about any filter that fits into the holder... that slots into the back of the lens, but these lenses had fixed filter sets.
The colours and types were set and unless you were able to disassemble the lens that's all you got, and they had to be used too, like it or lump it!

The later 16 and 15mm sized modern fishies didn't have these filter contraptions.

I can't imagine how impressive this 6mm lens is too ... the 8mm f/2.8(later model lens) is impressive enough with a front lens element as large as any of the super duper tele's currently produced.
One of the camera stores around the camera precinct in the CBD had one(I think it was Camera Exchange) and it was the most uber impressive camera part I've ever seen, even more impressive than those super teles.

there's just something interesting about a shorty bottomed lens with a huge front lens element that makes it more impressive than a long lens with a similarly sized front element.

Mark S
14-05-2012, 11:10pm
A very rare lens - this non AI model made between 1972 and 1981 - I just wonder how many were ever made. :-)

Thanks for sharing with us, Rick,

Cheers
Mark

ricktas
14-05-2012, 11:20pm
Yep AK, 39mm filters for mine. In reviews it is noted that some filters cause a ghosting effect, so I have never really pursued consideration of looking for filters for it. It's a beautiful lens..which I probably do not use enough.

arthurking83
15-05-2012, 8:32pm
..... - I just wonder how many were ever made. :-)

Cheers
Mark

582! ... just a guess ;)

Yep AK, 39mm filters for mine. In reviews it is noted that some filters cause a ghosting effect, so I have never really pursued consideration of looking for filters for it. It's a beautiful lens..which I probably do not use enough.

I'm not sure about this lens, but most Nikon lenses with a filter mounted in this manner, need to have a filter in place as it's actually a part of the optical system.
Usually the filter Nikon supplies is an L37c type, with has no image manipulating properties .. basically a protective and UV cut filter, but it needs to be in place apparently.
That's not just what I've read about this system, but also what I've found with the mirror lens. The mirror lenses have screw in filters fitted to the rear most part of the lens system, and in this sense acts as the rear most lens element.

I've read similar info about the 500aiP lens and the older 300/2.8's too.
Have only chased up info about the lenses most interesting to me, so not all them that use this rear mounted filter system .. but I'd be chasing up a bit of info about it to be sure that not fitting the filter doesn't affect IQ in some way.

My Tammy 300mm also has the same system and needs to have the filter in place, for which I have a clear filter and a skylight filter which both came with the lens when I got it.

From that, I just assume that all of these rear filter designed lenses need to have a filter in place due to the design of the optical system.

Epoc
22-05-2012, 11:48am
I have this guys baby brother. Use it for creating 360x360 degree Virtual Tours. It is a work of art, albeit a big chunky and quite heavy work of art. It is a bit scary at times having so much glass unprotected but so far, touch wood, mine is unmarked. I am always very careful when using it. If it is not taking pictures, it has the metal lens cap on always.

I have owned it for 6 years. I paid a motsa for it, but they now go for almost triple what I paid. So it's actually a good investment. Saying that, you could not pry this thing off me with a crowbar!

One thing with it though, it always draws attention from anyone who knows a bit about photography, usually with a "wow what lens is that" comment.

richardb
28-05-2012, 5:09am
Amazing piece of glass.:th3:

LJG
28-05-2012, 8:22am
Holy Crap - what else is there to say about that one! Amazing, yes, but sheer extravagance at its peak.