PDA

View Full Version : Olympus E520 question

aussie girl
10-05-2012, 8:57pm
Hi everyone. I have a question about my E520 camera. I was looking through the manual that came with it the other day and came across a "feature" that I am not sure how to use properly.
It is to do with the Image Stabiliser function (page 60/61 in the manual). I understand the explanation for the 'Off, I.S 1, I.S 2, I.S 3 function. It is the 'Setting the Focal Length' part that I am a bit confused about. I have only got four third lenses for my camera (they both came with it when I bought it) so I am not sure if this setting is supposed to be only for use with lenses other than four thirds type lenses.
It says in the manual - Quote :- By setting in advance the focal length of the lens, you can use the image stabilizer function also with lenses other than Four Thirds system lenses. This setting is deactivated when a Four Thirds System lens is attached.

So if I played with this setting and changed it from 30mm to 1000mm when I used my 300mm lens does this mean that because that lens is a four Thirds system lens, that it will not adjust the Image stabilisation in any way with that lens connected, or am I missing something?
What would I need to do if I used a 2x converter attached to the camera and then put my lens onto that? If it was a four thirds system converter would this setting be null and void with that converter (not sure if they are specific for various cameras or not)

davsv1
10-05-2012, 11:04pm
That function only works with non 4/3rds lenses, e.g. om mount lens when using mf1 om adapter, no electronics auto focus etc. So it doesn't matter what you set it at, when you mount a 4/3rds lens it will be automatic for focal length.

aussie girl
11-05-2012, 8:10pm
Thanks for your reply, but I need a bit of decyphering:rolleyes:
om = Other Manufacturer??? is that right??
mf1 - no idea on that one
thanks

davsv1
11-05-2012, 8:33pm
OM is the old Olympus pre digital lens mount for OM1 OM2 etc cameras , so Zuiko lenses with an OM mount are older non auto focus lenses while Zuiko len with 4/3rds mount is digital lens. Mf1 is an adapter to use older OM lenses on newer 4/3rds bodies. So unless you have lot OM lenses you won't need an mf1 and the IS settings will not affect you. OM lenses a not limited to Zuiko either, they can be any brand, Sigma, Tokina, Vivitar etc. Zuiko is olympus brand lenses

aussie girl
11-05-2012, 9:17pm
Thankyou, All good now:) Lots more in that manual to look up, so might be lots more questions to come. I appreciate your answer

davsv1
11-05-2012, 9:29pm
Your welcome :)