PDA

View Full Version : Q's about Selling Prints (landscapes)

Milbs1
05-05-2012, 4:53pm
I am in the process of setting up my website and will be offering prints for sale.
A couple of questions in regards to the printing:-

1) Should I include a small white border around the print (to help with framing)...is this done as standard?
2) Do people usually sign the prints, or is this more so with limited editions?
3) Limited editions - this seems a bit odd to me when you see Joe Bloggs offerring limited edition 300 copies.....I can understand it for the bit hitters (Duncan, Lik, Fletcher etc) but seems like a marketing ploy that I'm not sure would work. Thoughts?

Interested in people's thoughts and opinions please :-)

I am not expecting to be inundated with sales, but to sell a few a year would be more than fine (cover the cost of the website and put a little in my pocket to placate the hubby!)

Ms Monny
09-05-2012, 8:39pm
Hi.

Good on you for taking that next step. Thoughts from a consumer point of view...a white border will frame it, but that depends on the background. Having it or not having it won't make the person not like/like the pic any more. See how the design of the website is first. I only like a signature on the matt board, not on the image itself. Maybe a signature and info on the back of the print? I think Limited Editions are a marketing ploy nowadays, unless you are pretty much well known and have a following. I wouldn't bother in the early stages.

Hope this helps.

I @ M
10-05-2012, 6:43am
1) Should I include a small white border around the print (to help with framing)...is this done as standard?

To me there are quite a few variables in that question.

If the images are purely going to be printed and presented by you to the customer in a "traditional" wooden frame, matted and glass front I would say no, a properly cut mat and mounting job will negate the use of it.
If they are to be framed without a mat then, depending on subject matter, I would say maybe.
If you are going to sell the prints alone and the purchaser is going to arrange the framing then I would offer them the choice of border / border less.

Don't restrict yourself to only considering prints, investigate other mounting / presentation products such as foamcore or acrylic mounted ready to hang images. Different methods appeal to different people and being able to offer a choice is a valuable marketing tool.

Don't sign images. If you are having them printed at a decent lab they will just about always have your name and or file name number printed on the rear. Make your self some stickers to go on the rear of any product with your name, contact details and image title. Avery type inkjet labels work well for that sort of thing. That way the purchaser will always have a record of where it came from and when their friends admire the work they will also know how to get in contact with you to purchase one or more for their house ------- :)

Change your name by deed poll to something similar to a famous photographer and offer limited prints, until then stick to establishing yourself. Of course, you can always offer to do commission work as a one off exclusive image. Some people like that sort of thing. :rolleyes:

ricktas
10-05-2012, 6:51am
I don't sign my prints. I place a sticker on the back of them. If they are sold framed, the sticker is on the back of the frame. It has my name, website, copyright and mobile phone number (I have had the same mobile number since Aus swapped from analogue to digital).

Limited Editions. I agree that if you are going to do this, do very small numbers of prints. A limited edition is only worth its value if their is more of a demand for something than there is supply. So if you have a market of 100 people wanting a specific print, and you do a 300 print limited edition, you have flooded the market. However if you have a market of 100 people, and you print 20, then you are producing a limited edition for the very reason it is called as such.

Also remember that a Limited Edition (under the above conditions) means you can sell at a premium, but do not get involved with the post sales..sales. Cause if you sell it for $500.00 as a limited edition, and then due to demand, purchasers are re-selling it at $1500.00, do not get worked up over missing out on an extra $1000.00. That's how and why limited editions work.

davsv1
10-05-2012, 9:09am
I'd say from a framers point of view I don't like a border on a print, it makes it harder to line up the matt and looks terrible if not perfect. As said above matting negates the border anyway as it creates a white or black line from the vee on the matt board

Milbs1
11-05-2012, 9:56am
Thanks for the responses all, some very useful insights that has helped.

Don't restrict yourself to only considering prints, investigate other mounting / presentation products such as foamcore or acrylic mounted ready to hang images. Different methods appeal to different people and being able to offer a choice is a valuable marketing tool.

Don't sign images. If you are having them printed at a decent lab they will just about always have your name and or file name number printed on the rear. Make your self some stickers to go on the rear of any product with your name, contact details and image title. Avery type inkjet labels work well for that sort of thing. That way the purchaser will always have a record of where it came from and when their friends admire the work they will also know how to get in contact with you to purchase one or more for their house ------- :)

Thanks Andrew. I visited the printers I will use the other day to check out their other products and paper types etc. I will be offering canvas, acrylic and the alumalux which looks awsome.
Will indeed get stickers as dont want to damage prints by signing on them, and also plan on getting some business cards made to include with the prints.

Limited Editions. I agree that if you are going to do this, do very small numbers of prints. A limited edition is only worth its value if their is more of a demand for something than there is supply. So if you have a market of 100 people wanting a specific print, and you do a 300 print limited edition, you have flooded the market. However if you have a market of 100 people, and you print 20, then you are producing a limited edition for the very reason it is called as such.

I see so many photographers (local, maybe a couple of years down the track from me) offerring limited edition prints of 100/200 etc, and seriously I just dont see them selling that many unless you are Christian Fletcher/Ken Duncan'Peter Lik etc. So if I did go this route, it would only be a couple of prints and editions of 20 I reckon!

I'd say from a framers point of view I don't like a border on a print, it makes it harder to line up the matt and looks terrible if not perfect. As said above matting negates the border anyway as it creates a white or black line from the vee on the matt board

This is exactly what the printers told me when I asked, so I am just going to print to the edge, thanks.

I now have my website pretty much there other than finalising the pricelists. Here (http://shirleymilburn.com) is the link if anyone is interested. It is a zenfolio website, I will be doing "self fulfillment" of orders via a local lab (5 mins from work so ideal). Happy to receive any feedback, or answer any Q's about zenfolio if people are looking at that option....

keith-killer
13-05-2012, 11:44pm
You have got great photos there. I am sure you will sell them, you need to work on getting people to your website and getting to know about you.
Tourists may love to them.

davsv1
14-05-2012, 6:54am
This is exactly what the printers told me when I asked, so I am just going to print to the edge, thanks.

Don't print right to the edge either, allow at least 15mm on each edge of a paper print, again for matting, and 30-40 mm on canvas for wrapping around the edge. On canvas also it is a good idea to get software to print a gallery wrap reflection ( or do it in PS) so all your photo is on the front.

atky
14-05-2012, 8:18am
Dont know about selling but like your work, good luck.