PDA

View Full Version : Further use for CPL

Harves
13-03-2008, 10:31pm
A circular polarising filter is not just for enhancing the colour of the sky, or taking the glare off water, it can also be handy for taking the glare from windows.

Example #1 is with polariser, #2 is without.

Just thought I'd share, you never know when it might come in handy.....

PeterB
13-03-2008, 10:45pm
Great demonstration, Harves! Well worth remembering ...

arthurking83
13-03-2008, 10:46pm
LOL! good example :D

Also, if you're doing landscapes and the sun isn't really so affecting(cloudy or whatever!) a Polariser can still enhance colors(espcially greens and yellows) and basically render a scene more vivid and warmer too.

Harves
14-03-2008, 6:41am
Also, if you're doing landscapes and the sun isn't really so affecting(cloudy or whatever!) a Polariser can still enhance colors(espcially greens and yellows) and basically render a scene more vivid and warmer too.

Yeah.... I use one most of the time outdoors, unless the light is too dull

Roof
14-03-2008, 7:27am
I just love the little shopfronts, Looks good.....

ricktas
14-03-2008, 8:00am
Looks good Harves, great scene.

I have always been fascinated by Cross Polarising Photography, but havent ever given it a go, basically you use 2 polarisers, one on the camera, and one behind your subject (usually something plastic as the results are dramatic).

Here is a link to 'what im talking bout' : http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Cross-polarisation

Seesee
14-03-2008, 12:50pm
That's a remarkable difference in the window views there Harves, good tip and one I would not of thought of.

Bax
14-03-2008, 12:53pm
It definitely works, I used my polariser ages ago when taking photo's of a friends car, it removed most glare/reflections from the paint job and reflections on the windows. It worked well.

reaction
18-09-2008, 9:48pm
very interesting. I've always been bothered by the banding in the sky caused by mine.

ricktas
18-09-2008, 10:03pm
very interesting. I've always been bothered by the banding in the sky caused by mine.

Polarisers work best at about 90 degrees to the sun. They have their applications and certainly will cause banding if not rotated correctly or aligned to the sun position well. One time never to use a polariser is when doing multiple photos that are going to be stitched into a pano.

bartt_06
28-09-2008, 11:19am
Polarisers work best at about 90 degrees to the sun. They have their applications and certainly will cause banding if not rotated correctly or aligned to the sun position well. One time never to use a polariser is when doing multiple photos that are going to be stitched into a pano.

like i just learnt the hard way!! What NOT to do:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Bartt_06/Best%20Ones/Olgasdawnpano2crb3.jpg

i still cant even believe i did it.
ah well, i'll just have to go back and take the photo again....

Kym
28-09-2008, 4:49pm

Do you mean 90deg as camera facing subject and sun above? or at my left or right shoulder?

What do you mean by rotated correctly?

I'm thinking of getting a couple of CPL's so am very interested as to how to use them correctly.

Thanks!

Seesee
28-09-2008, 5:44pm
Meaning they work best if the sun is over your right or left shoulder....roughly, but this doesn't always apply. CPL's can be rotated to achieve various levels of light to enter, takes a bit of praactice and trial and error to get the best results.

As you turn the CPL the sky or subject matter will alter in light and colour intensity, clouds for example will start to look more solid and not as blown looking, colours become much richer. If you turn the CPL so the clouds for example have maximum pop you can at times get what I would refer to as "muddy" hues in the image, but adjusted right and they can make all the difference to a shot.....worthwhile in anyones kit in my opinion.

ving
03-10-2008, 11:18am
it works on glare anywhere, as i found out last weekend...

try shooting accross the sun trying to do a portrait with the aperture wide (say 1.8-2.8) of someone wearing white... cpl comes ni really handy to cut glare and light (if you dont have a nd)

nexus
18-10-2009, 12:29pm
it works on glare anywhere, as i found out last weekend...

try shooting accross the sun trying to do a portrait with the aperture wide (say 1.8-2.8) of someone wearing white... cpl comes ni really handy to cut glare and light (if you dont have a nd)

It actually works on reflection off non-metallic surfaces, so water, glass etc. Unfortunately most of the time I want more light so the CPL stays off!

CPL will also give you uneven saturation like the picture above on UWA lenses due to the polarizing effect strength at different angles to the sun.

Do you mean 90deg as camera facing subject and sun above? or at my left or right shoulder?

What do you mean by rotated correctly?

I'm thinking of getting a couple of CPL's so am very interested as to how to use them correctly.

Thanks!

There is a ring on the filter that you can rotate to change the effect of the polarizer (from no effect, basically an ND filter to strong) and this will be reflected (pun intended) in your viewfinder.

Be aware that as with all filters, CPL filters will reduce light that you get (I'm not sure if the reduction is brand specific or construction specific? There are probably multicoated CPL filters and the like that sacrifices less light)

GlennSan
05-11-2009, 11:18am
Looks good Harves, great scene.

I have always been fascinated by Cross Polarising Photography, but havent ever given it a go, basically you use 2 polarisers, one on the camera, and one behind your subject (usually something plastic as the results are dramatic).

Here is a link to 'what im talking bout' : http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Cross-polarisation
Rick, it's known as "Stress Polarization".

Certain crystals and plastics transmit light in two rays that are polarized at right angles to each other. If photographed through polarizing filters, these crystals or plastics will show interference patterns in vivid colours. When stressed, such as bending or twisting, the play of colours is quite striking.

It is sometimes used in scientific research to analyse natural stresses in certain shapes by making plastic models during the design phase.

I read the article at the provided URL and while they described how to achieve the effect, they didn’t really give any information as to what was causing the effect.

GlennSan
05-11-2009, 11:26am
Sorry mods - double post in error - pls nuke this one.

GlennSan
05-11-2009, 11:37am
Meaning they work best if the sun is over your right or left shoulder....roughly, but this doesn't always apply.

Easiest way to remember the area of affect in relation to the sun:

Make a fist.
Point your first finger out and thumb up (like a childs gun).
Aim your pointing finger at the sun, then rotate your thumb around and where your thumb points is the area where you'll get maximum polarizing effect.

So @ midday - clouds low on the horizon for 360 degreees will leap out of the haze/murk.

Late afternoon or early morning, the max effect will be above your head and down to the south and north horizons.

I hope that helps.

arnica
03-05-2010, 5:33pm
You can use CPL's to cut out light so that you can see through water as well ....

0Z320
04-05-2010, 7:10pm
Wow, this thread delivers!

I just learnt a few of the most useful things you would need to know in regards to using a polarizer.

Thanks guys :)

old dog
04-05-2010, 8:14pm
great example Harves. Nice shot too. I am after a 77mm cpl and I`m figuring that the hoya pro1 is the way to go for me. People say that kenko is the same but I only know the kenko is a fair bit cheaper.

Lizakita
12-05-2010, 10:20am
Hi, wow that's interesting,I just bought a polariser and i think i will go for a walk right now and try these new tips out,Thanks.
Dini.:)

Dylan & Marianne
14-05-2010, 1:04pm
where I've found CPL's useful :

1. As Harves mentioned : window reflections
2. Landscapes :
waterfalls (reduction of water glare from rocks),
see-through effects on water, as an additional aid to slow exposure time (not primary of course - NDs for this).
Rainbows - turning the polariser will enhance segments of the rainbow - stack a few shots with polariser in a few positions
3. Weddings : (I'll probably get caned for this lol)
- in outdoor scenes using large apertures, it certainly helps control the light on the bride's dress
- also reduction of glare brings out vibrance of colours significantly (can you remember to turn the polariser when switching from protrait to landscape though)

stixstudios
19-05-2010, 11:05pm
Great example Harves.

Thanks.

elyshiamadison
19-09-2010, 3:01pm
Thanks for all the tips on when to use this filter - I brought mine, had a play with shooting sky and clouds, and it hasn't come out of it's case again!

Time to pull it back out and have another play I think!

arthurking83
19-09-2010, 4:38pm

Time to pull it back out and have another play I think!

depending on needs and requirements.
A very handy piece of kit, and if not for this particular invention, I think I'd never really shoot as many images as I tend to do. The default position for my CPL's are 'on lens' ... only coming off if they have an adverse impact on the image.

Patagonia
01-12-2010, 3:05pm
nice example, did not know that application...and didin´t know they used CPL´s back in the 18th hundreds :D

hark40
01-12-2010, 8:25pm
And a CPL (and even a LPL) is one of the few filters whose effect can't be duplicated in Photoshop either.

Wakaleo
06-12-2010, 5:45pm
Good tip!

Gotta love the claim in the window though - 'painless dentistry'! Since when has any dentistry been painless? Even if you'd been anaesthetised for the procedure, the pain came later. These days most of the pain is felt by the hip-pocket nerve.