PDA

View Full Version : Called to take some photos at a wedding.

Bubbleyboy
02-05-2012, 12:58am
I have been asked to take some family photos at a wedding I am to attend soon I have a canon 1100d with a 18 /55 kit lens . Iam still finding my feet with this unit and while the standard lens will take adequate shots I was wondering if it was worth purchasing a 50mm F1.8 for the wedding portrate shots as they are relativly inexpensive < $130.00.

Bubbleyboy

ricktas
02-05-2012, 6:49am
depends. Yes a 50 mm will offer you some nice portraits, but if you want group shots you will need something wider. The 18-55 kit lens will do this, but if you are indoors, without flash, you might find the 18-55 struggles.

I had a look to see if you had taken portraits before, but can't see that you have loaded any to AP for critique, I would be interested in your skill level as to whether you should be doing lots of portrait practice between now and the wedding.

patrickv
04-05-2012, 1:01pm
General wedding photography tips:
- never be the main photographer for friends, whether it's paid or for free. Fill-in photographer is usually fine though.
- never be the main photographer for anyone before you have significant experience as a fill-in photographer + all the gear
- you need wide aperture lenses, for depth of field control and also just light gathering.
- shoot raw. get a big memory card if needed. Even if you use raw just to not have to worry about white balance while shooting, it's already worth it.
- have lots of batteries
- scout the location before and try some test pics. Very experienced photographers who are doing a not too high profile wedding can rely on their experience to adapt on the spot, but apart from this case, go for it.

The 1100D is a beautiful camera, particularly for its price tag. The only thing I don't like about it is the full plastic (they could have put a bit of rubber around the grip!). It can do decent pics up to 1600 ISO which is nice. I advise to lock auto-ISO to 1600 max on this camera, because its 3200 is really ugly.

The kit lens is total crap, hardly better than an iphone, but with any slightly decent lens you can make beautiful pictures. The 1.8 is a great value lens. On a Canon crop sensor you get equiv. perspective of 80mm. You'll be blown away by how it compares to the kit lens, it's another world. It does a bit of colour fringing full open, but it's nothing you can't correct in photoshop. Close it a bit to 2.2 - 2.5 and you'll get rid of it anyway.

Get a second battery and bring the charger with you. Charge both before you get there. This way when the first battery is out, you can put it to charge right away and start using the second one. Oh and deactivate the image display in options, and deactivate the lcd screen (press "disp" button).

Also a flash that can be shot from the side is pretty good (integrated flash is awful - and shooting from right next to the lens produces terrible results). You can pick this up used for less than $100. Any E-TTL capable flash with an extension cord is good for starters. A softbox for the flash is pretty nice too. You can make it yourself for $10, you just need to use your hands

So yeah, as a fill-in photographer here is your list:
- 50 1.8
- battery!!
- any E-TTL capable flash with extension cord (the wireless ones are expensive)
- home made flash softbox (or buy one if you have the cash, though it's not hard at all to make)

And action list:
- scout the location before
- charge your batteries
- learn the ins and outs of your camera if you don't already know it very well. 1100D is pretty simple which is awesome
- experiment a lot with the 50 1.8, its depth of field control and perspective
- do lots of testing with flash photo. it's not a basic skill at all.

Cheers

Bubbleyboy
05-05-2012, 4:41pm
Thanks for your answers , I think the purchase of the 50mm is a definate now , even if its only to note the difference between it and the kit lens . I will be mostly be doing portrates , aunty Sally with Uncle Ben ect just for posterity and some Family members who cant be there . A few other have to get items are mentioned , second battery and flash , but one thing at a time with limited finances and at this stage the 50 mm lens is in my reach , so I'll dive in and hope to post some results after I have them .

Bubbleyboy.

William W
10-05-2012, 3:15pm
I have been asked to take some family photos at a wedding I amto attend soon I have a canon 1100dwith a 18 /55 kit lens . Iam still finding my feet with this unit andwhile the standard lens will take adequate shots I was wondering if it was worth purchasing a 50mm F1.8 for thewedding portrate shots as they are relativly inexpensive < $130.00.

No. The EF50.1.8MkII is not a sensible purchase given the details you’ve provided.

If your finances are limited to only one purchase, on the balance of probibilities, you will have more scope to make good Family Portrait Photos at the Wedding if you buy a dedicated Flash Unit (e.g. 430EXMkII) and make a White Bounce Card and Practice and Learn how to the Flash and the Bounce Card and also how to Pose People and also Practice how to take Candid Portraiture.

And as an initial functionality - use the Camera in P Mode and the Flash in Full Auto, bounced forward at 45° into the White Bounce Card.

The EF-S 18 to 55F/3.5~5.6IS is certainly NOT total crap, but rather very good quality images can be made with it.

One should consider the very great limitations of making a variety of Family Portraits at a Wedding, if one is confined to only using a 50mm lens on an APS-C Camera.

WW

JM Tran
10-05-2012, 3:26pm
You are better off renting pro equipment which are not that expensive to rent, rather than paying for sub-par equipment.

patrickv
11-05-2012, 10:58am
It's still a few hundred dollars to rend decent stuff for a couple days ;)

JM Tran
11-05-2012, 11:14am
It's still a few hundred dollars to rend decent stuff for a couple days ;)

still better than shooting with a Canon 1100D + 18-55 + 50 f1.8?

KeeFy
11-05-2012, 11:48am
IMO. And don't take this too harsly. Turn down the gig. Turn up with your camera and take some random photos. Give it to them at the end of the day. No stress on you no expectations from them.

18-55 is not crap. It's a decent lens when stopped down to f8. LOL.

patrickv
11-05-2012, 11:51am
For sure it's better. As a general thing, you'll always be better off with better equipment.
Renting proper pro equipment would cost about as much as buying an average flash and the 50 f/1.8, and it just seems that the OP has issues with the financial aspect of just getting a flash.

JM Tran
11-05-2012, 12:03pm
For sure it's better. As a general thing, you'll always be better off with better equipment.
Renting proper pro equipment would cost about as much as buying an average flash and the 50 f/1.8, and it just seems that the OP has issues with the financial aspect of just getting a flash.

have you actually hired gear on a regular basis? what you are stating there is about half a grand in rental gear? I dont know where you get your rental stuff from but the average rental price for an FF body is between $90-150 for weekend, good lenses between $50-$100, flash under $50 blah blah.

http://sydneycamerahire.com.au/wedding-equipment.html
1. Canon EOS mark1 camera (looks like a MKIII)
2. 2 memory chips
3. Flash
4. 2 x lenses
5. Bag
6. $175 for the weekend

http://www.digihire.com.au/canon-slr-lenses.htm

$160 for 4 L prime lenses kit of 24, 35, 50, 85 - bargain hire

http://www.rentacam.com.au/canon-camera-hire-sydney.html

17-55 IS + 580EXII = $95 rent.

KeeFy
11-05-2012, 12:29pm
Photography camera Canon EOS 1d mark II
Camera
One 35mmto 70mmlense
One wide angle lens
Monopod
Total price is $175 per day

I suspect it is a MARK I.

JM Tran
11-05-2012, 12:32pm
Photography camera Canon EOS 1d mark II
Camera
One 35mmto 70mmlense
One wide angle lens
Monopod
Total price is $175 per day

I suspect it is a MARK I.

would u prefer that still over a 1100D? :D

KeeFy
11-05-2012, 12:43pm
would u prefer that still over a 1100D? :D

Depending on situation. If it's low light. I'll take the 1100D over the MK1 for ISO control.

JM Tran
11-05-2012, 12:46pm
Depending on situation. If it's low light. I'll take the 1100D over the MK1 for ISO control.

I wouldnt, not with an 18-55 on it anyway.

kiwi
11-05-2012, 1:57pm
is there another photographer there, actually being paid ? Get them to do it and you get pissed :)

bmeikle
11-05-2012, 8:14pm
I recently went through this same exercise.
I have a Nikon D5100 with a couple of lenses - I bought a 35mm f1.8 DX lens and a decent flash.
I was able to borrow a Nikon D700 from a friend (ex pro photographer) with some nice lenses which was fantastic. Then have my camera as a backup which I gave to my son to take some extra shots.

I would also suggest make a list of the photos and guests you "must" get. Things move so quickly on the day that it is a scramble and I missed some combinations of guests.
Hardest thing is being a guest as well as photographer is that people want to keep talking to you and you get distracted from taking the photos.

It was pretty stressful but the photos turned out great and the bride and groom were happy - which is the main thing.
Good luck

enduro
11-05-2012, 10:31pm
I've done three weddings now and the time before last decided I would never do one again. I'm now doing another in August.

They are stressful events indeed and talent to handle them comes with a lot of practice.

Taking family portraits should be a job your and your gear should be capable of. The 50 you have in mind will be fine.

At one wedding I shot family portraits indoors with the nicest background possible and this ended up being in a hall with a wooden hat and umbrella rack etc. Pulling in a few nice looking chairs and using a tripod and the off camera flash it really worked well.

Shoot lots of photo's.

patrickv
12-05-2012, 3:26pm
have you actually hired gear on a regular basis? what you are stating there is about half a grand in rental gear? I dont know where you get your rental stuff from but the average rental price for an FF body is between $90-150 for weekend, good lenses between $50-$100, flash under $50 blah blah.

Please show me the 90-150 for a weekend (not a single week day) that is a not a 11 year old 4mpix 1d mark1. I'm interested... I'd like to test a 5D3 for a weekend for $150 is it possible?
How much do you buy a 50 1.8 ? I can get it any day under $100, same for an average flash.

All this rental thing doesn't either take into account that to get used to new gear - particularly if you don't have much experience - it takes more than a single day... Even if it wasn't super expensive, what use is it to rent some fancy stuff if it's your first time ever using an off-camera flash? I think you can get much better results with a 50 1.8 + a $100 flash that you can use every day to practice for a month than with full studio, top camera bodies, lenses, strobes, that you have no idea how to use ...

JM Tran
12-05-2012, 8:00pm
Please show me the 90-150 for a weekend (not a single week day) that is a not a 11 year old 4mpix 1d mark1. I'm interested... I'd like to test a 5D3 for a weekend for $150 is it possible?
How much do you buy a 50 1.8 ? I can get it any day under $100, same for an average flash.

All this rental thing doesn't either take into account that to get used to new gear - particularly if you don't have much experience - it takes more than a single day... Even if it wasn't super expensive, what use is it to rent some fancy stuff if it's your first time ever using an off-camera flash? I think you can get much better results with a 50 1.8 + a $100 flash that you can use every day to practice for a month than with full studio, top camera bodies, lenses, strobes, that you have no idea how to use ...

Sorry but check the websites above for prices that are not old bodies?

Im sorry but top end gear stlll works the same as low end gear, you can still change apertures, shutter speed, ISO blah blah, so unless you have never ever touched a camera before you can easily pull off good shots on any pro or entry level body. Fact.

So a $100 dollar flash - I am expecting no TTL there - you want the OP to use Manual for a wedding for both outdoors and indoors? Yeah I cant wait to see the pics from blown out highlights.

Instead of arguing, why dont you try to be a bit more productive by helping the OP, I gave them my suggestions based on being an experienced wedding photographer with using all levels of gear.

I cannot wait to see how the results from a 50mm on a 1.6x crop used for all shots, and a $100 dollar flash on Manual - if he goes by your suggestion.

patrickv
12-05-2012, 11:24pm
Well .... I did read actually. To make my point I just underlined the prices from the sites you mentioned. Notice it is in RED so that you can see it.
Go on www.ebay.com.au and look for "Yongnuo YN-468 II" - it's a reasonable flash WITH E-TTL. It has a 33 GN and it costs $89, handling/shipping included.

I completely believe the OP will be much better off with a 1100D + kit 17-55 + 50 1.8 + sub $100 flash WITH e-ttl + time to try to do some shots than with some new stuff, than with some new rented gear he hasn't had time to get comfortable with.
Why rent a low end camera while already having the 1100D anyway? It doesn't make sense either.
The OP also already has the kit lens, did you read? While it doesn't have a fantastic image quality or super wide aperture, is a 17-55 which is equivalent in angle of view to a 27-88mm on FF.

Everything seems very out of context. This is going nowhere. I'm out of here.

JM Tran
12-05-2012, 11:53pm
Well .... I did read actually. To make my point I just underlined the prices from the sites you mentioned. Notice it is in RED so that you can see it.
Go on www.ebay.com.au and look for "Yongnuo YN-468 II" - it's a reasonable flash WITH E-TTL. It has a 33 GN and it costs $89, handling/shipping included.

I completely believe the OP will be much better off with a 1100D + kit 17-55 + 50 1.8 + sub $100 flash WITH e-ttl + time to try to do some shots than with some new stuff, than with some new rented gear he hasn't had time to get comfortable with.
Why rent a low end camera while already having the 1100D anyway? It doesn't make sense either.
The OP also already has the kit lens, did you read? While it doesn't have a fantastic image quality or super wide aperture, is a 17-55 which is equivalent in angle of view to a 27-88mm on FF.

Everything seems very out of context. This is going nowhere. I'm out of here.

I was replying before during a wedding shoot.

Did you bother checking out the 4 prime lenses kit I listed earlier? $160 for 4 prime lenses doesnt seem like a better alternative than an average prime lens on an awkward crop for wedding work? Makes sense to a lot of wedding photographers doing it. I dont know about your standards, but if I wanna do a good job, then I will seek the best possible solution. Maybe we have differing standards.

Notice that - if you had ever bothered to HIRE SOMETHING - 1 day does not mean morning till afternoon, it is usually 24 hours - hence 1 day rates are what wedding photographers go by - commercial/editorial shoots usually require a few days. You really expect a wedding photog to hire something for a day then suddenly have to return it in the afternoon in the midst of shooting? Same for cars etc?

A daily rate is a full 24 hour period, which begins when the item is collected. That item must then be returned by that same time the following day.

Since you probably mistook 1 day hire as a rip off and believe weekend rates are what is needed. Here are some good sites that I have also used.

http://www.benshire.com.au/hire/digital-slr-cameras/ - $125 for Mark 3, $84 for Mark 2 - bargains!

http://totalphoto.com.au/?page_id=1376 - $130 - Mark 2, Pentax 645D + 2 lenses = $250 - bargains!

http://www.brisbanecamerahire.com.au/pricelist - $140 - Mark 3, $110 - Mark 2 - bargains!

Oh and the previous sites I have listed, thank you!

Yeah I have a YN468, gave it to an assistant to use tonight actually, its been in my bag for 2 years now - why did I not recommend to purchase it? Differing standards once again. As I prefer to recommend a Nissin for double the price with more powers and features, sorry.

patrickv
13-05-2012, 1:19am
For actual pro work I wouldn't recommend a 50 1.8, a low end flash or a Canon 1100D. I wouldn't recommend an inexperienced photographer either...
Given the conditions where the OP only has experience with the kit lens, practice with the new stuff is definitely needed (how to use the DOF of the 1.8, realizing that you need to close it to about 2.5 to get pictures to look OK, then using the flash, bouncing it, and so on)
In this specific case, with a very low budget, adding to an already owned 17-55 the 50 1.8 and a low end flash allows practice and in my point of view is the best compromise for $200 or less. I believe it will give much better results than better rented gear and less experience with it.

If you disagree on that, it's completely fine. We will just agree to disagree.

Thanks for the info on renting. I guess I've been so used to these car rental places that close on the weekends and force you to rent from Saturday morning to Monday morning that I assumed that it would be the same for photo equipment. The word "bargain" seems a bit strong though. If when I rented a car it was 1/20th of its price per day ... wow ... To rent a car worth several times the price of a high end camera is around $50/day. I'm not saying it's not economically justified, as cameras probably have a lot more "unrented time" than cars and the rental places have to make up for it, but it's not a bargain either.

JM Tran
13-05-2012, 1:36am
The word "bargain" seems a bit strong though. If when I rented a car it was 1/20th of its price per day ... wow ... To rent a car worth several times the price of a high end camera is around $50/day. I'm not saying it's not economically justified, as cameras probably have a lot more "unrented time" than cars and the rental places have to make up for it, but it's not a bargain either.

If you are keen on being pedantic and keep wanting to split hairs, then it is a bargain sorry. We charge the rental fee into the initial fee for the shoot and is also tax deductible for work purposes. For amateurs and hobbyists, many use the rental ability to try out equipment without the cash outlay of thousands of dollars per pop - and selling it later out of regret. Or in this case, I was comparing the duration of hire of a day hire for camera or car - at which you clearly misunderstood, not comparing the value and percentage of hiring a car vs. a camera which is ridiculous - so please - lets not split more hairs to increase your post count.

I just read your other posts also. Welcome to the DSLR world, hope you stay and enjoy it!

ricktas
13-05-2012, 7:58am
The OP stated "I have been asked to take some family photos at a wedding I am to attend soon"

He did not say he was the official photographer. Maybe the family have decided it would be a good time, with everyone dressed up, to get some family photos. Perhaps while the Wedding Party are off doing their shots?

This was how I read it, not that the OP was going to photograph the actual wedding, as THE photographer. I think your suggestions are great, IF they are photographing the wedding officially, but the OP has not stated that.

Until the OP replies and clarifies, I think we might be going a bit over-board. The OP might just be an invitee who is going to take some photos at a wedding.

kiwi
13-05-2012, 8:33am
That's the way I read it and responded accordingly

Get drunk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk