PDA

View Full Version : One website or two?

NatalieM
01-05-2012, 9:59pm
Hi all,

The vast majority of my photography work has been animal photography (link in sig) and so my website is basically either blog posts about animals or photography in general. The whole thing is built around my animal collection which I called Animus Photography.

However I've also been getting into baby/child photography as well as some pet photography, and the kind of people who want that are probably not going to be happy about sifting through posts about lions!

Should I have a totally different web presence or a website that links to all three or what? I have no idea what to do!

Appreciate the help.

Natalie

boggo
01-05-2012, 10:05pm
If it were me, i would have a seperate presence if it was my bread and butter, but not if it were a hobby.

NatalieM
01-05-2012, 10:20pm
How come?

I don't think it's anyone's sole means of earning a crust when they just start out with a new 'type' of photography.

Seabee
02-05-2012, 12:49am
People are more likely to hire you if they feel you concentrate a majority of your work on a particular genre!! More likely to hire the one who is specific in any particular area than the photographer who is jack of all trades, but master of none!

Not a lot of customers besides family and friends will part with their hard earned dollars for the tog who is just starting out or dipping their toes into another area.
Just my opinion!

Seabee
02-05-2012, 12:56am
Are there laws on selling photos taken in Australian zoos?
I remember hearing once that there was, so would be interested to hear how you get around that!

ricktas
02-05-2012, 6:53am
Nothing wrong with having your current site, and then on the home page have the two distinct sections "Animals" - "Portraiture". Once someone clicks their chosen option, it can basically be a whole site, within a site, and they have no need to go to the other one. I would not be put off by something like that. I would just click the part of the site I was interested in, and go from there.

jaycee
02-05-2012, 9:22am
Are there laws on selling photos taken in Australian zoos?
I remember hearing once that there was, so would be interested to hear how you get around that!

I'm not a lawyer, but I wouldn't think there are any laws that specify photography in zoos being different to any other photography. Many zoos are private property though, so the zoo may have terms and conditions of their own that you accept as part of your entry fee. These rules would differ from zoo to zoo and some of them may prevent commercial photography without their express permission (and probably some sort of payment).

These terms and conditions aren't laws in themselves, but would obviously be covered by the regular contract laws.

rodw
02-05-2012, 9:48am
I'd go with one. Much easier to build a presence and profile for one shop rather than 2 to maximize referred traffic. A careful redesign to split it into different themes to would be my approach. Try not to break the links to existing lower pages or put redirects in place so any links still resolve.

NatalieM
02-05-2012, 10:29am
I don't know about all zoos, but I've had private contact with Melbourne Zoo about it. They don't consider my work "commercial photography" as I am not selling any images in order to promote the zoo itself.

NatalieM
02-05-2012, 10:37am
People are more likely to hire you if they feel you concentrate a majority of your work on a particular genre!! More likely to hire the one who is specific in any particular area than the photographer who is jack of all trades, but master of none!

Not a lot of customers besides family and friends will part with their hard earned dollars for the tog who is just starting out or dipping their toes into another area.
Just my opinion!

So your suggestion is to what then, give up? Only bother with one area of photography? I AM the master of my animal shots and I'm confident about my skill. I don't see anything wrong with expanding on my skills, I already know my way around the camera, I know how to process, and I know how to work with kids. I think if my shots are good enough, that will overcome any qualms people have about me "also taking animal photos"!

I've got a few NON family and friends lined up at a reduced price so that I can build a portfolio up.

NatalieM
02-05-2012, 10:38am
Thanks everyone else :)

Seabee
02-05-2012, 10:49am
So your suggestion is to what then, give up? Only bother with one area of photography? I AM the master of my animal shots and I'm confident about my skill. I don't see anything wrong with expanding on my skills, I already know my way around the camera, I know how to process, and I know how to work with kids. I think if my shots are good enough, that will overcome any qualms people have about me "also taking animal photos"!

I've got a few NON family and friends lined up at a reduced price so that I can build a portfolio up.

I am giving you feedback on your original question.....1 website or 2!
I have just put forward some of the 'many' opinions I have had from parents who are seeking a photographer and what they look for as far as online presence etc.

I have not made reference to your work or skills so please dont take it personally.
You asked a question and replies were given!

NatalieM
02-05-2012, 10:54am
Apologies if I read your reply wrong, but you didn't say one or two, just that photographers who are seen as 'dipping their toes' and are starting out would be frowned upon, I don't think either applies to me. I think you can be master of more than one trade, and I would like to master at least one that actually pays some bills! Print photography doesn't earn that much unless you're a big name.

reaction
02-05-2012, 1:42pm
Split it I think. But it's 2x the work for you...

ameerat42
02-05-2012, 4:08pm
Natalie.
To answer your question as to one or two websites, it doesn't really matter as long as the main themes are clear and distinct. Yours, for instance, would be projected to be still animals, also baby/child, and pet genres.
Your "Animus" description on your site did not seem to exclude the newer proposed fields.

As for the types of people who may be put off by pictures of animals, I don't know how great a hindrance that would be - negligible, or significant. I would, though, doubt it to be the latter. Furthermore, if such people had any doubt as to your capabilities, the animal photos would soon put paid to them.

Lastly, I would eschew taking any advice you asked for as in any way unhelpful if it didn't simply answer your initial questions. People wouldn't bother to reply if they didn't think it was worthwhile.
Am.

Shelley
02-05-2012, 11:31pm
I have grappled with this very thing. I do bird photography, but do photoshoots of people. Obviously I feel I am best at the birds, but people seem to love me shooting them as well - so I do. I have one website, two areas, one for people and one for birds. People just click on where they want to go. I have a bird on my main page, but thinking of doing a revolving shot of one from each genre bird and a people shot. I am getting plenty of work as well.

mini696
04-05-2012, 12:22pm
One site, two links would be my preference.

pearson
07-05-2012, 4:33pm
Strongly agree with Ricktas - you just need a well labelled website to direct people to one or the other instead of going to the trouble of constructing a whole new site.

Hope this helps!