PDA

View Full Version : Feeling invaded (CISPA discussion)

Kym
27-04-2012, 12:17pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CISPA

The Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) is a United States proposed law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proposed_law) introduced on November 30, 2011 by U.S. Representative (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Representatives_of_the_United_States) Michael Rogers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Rogers_%28Michigan_politician%29) (R (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Party_%28United_States%29)-MI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Representatives_from_Michigan)) and 111 co-sponsors.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CISPA#cite_note-0)[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CISPA#cite_note-1) It was passed in the House of Representatives on April 26, 2012.[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CISPA#cite_note-2) Prior to the amendments offered during final passage of the bill that would address many Adminstration concerns, President Obama threatened to veto (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veto) the bill.[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CISPA#cite_note-3)

The law grants The American Government unlimited control over the whole world-wide web, even other countries since VeriSign and ICANN control the full IP range on The Internet. And this seeks to enforce any country accessing The Internet to submit to the will of The United States Government (refusal means having that countries IP addresses suspended or terminated)

Team America anyone?

Does this make anyone feel safer? :angry0:

rellik666
27-04-2012, 1:14pm
I thought it had been toned down and moved away from esp as it is an election year......

Not happy Jan... :eek:

NoSideshow
27-04-2012, 3:23pm
Ignore it. Yanks think that their laws are global laws. And also don't worry about the internet being controlled by the US. Its not, unless you are trying to access US based websites. I'm old enough to remember the world before the internet....even before computers. Trust me...life was much less complicated and you could enjoy your own privacy.
In the early 1960s we had the internet in the lounge room....it was called the Encyclopedia Britannica, and I'm here to tell you, it was much more detailed than any online version.

fess67
27-04-2012, 3:29pm
I'm just grateful to them for inventing computers and the internet. :umm:

ricktas
27-04-2012, 3:37pm
Ignore it. Yanks think that their laws are global laws. And also don't worry about the internet being controlled by the US. Its not, unless you are trying to access US based websites. I'm old enough to remember the world before the internet....even before computers. Trust me...life was much less complicated and you could enjoy your own privacy.
In the early 1960s we had the internet in the lounge room....it was called the Encyclopedia Britannica, and I'm here to tell you, it was much more detailed than any online version.

WOW..Just WOW. I sit here shaking my head!

arthurking83
27-04-2012, 4:10pm
Limiting access to the internet is only going to eventually hurt businesses reliant on the net, and I'm sure there are more of these business models in the USA than anywhere else.

So their ability to choke the internet is going to ultimately cause their own economic downfall! :D

I'd be willing to call their bluff if I had the power too! ;)

Here's a possible scenario.

Some Chinese scammers get found out by the US department for controlling the internet.
Chinese government refuse to shut down access to this particular scammer/hacker network, possibly due to the fact that it's a government initiative to begin with.
This US department of draconian totalitarianism decides to block China entirely from internet access and what happens to relations with their largest trading partner? :D

Great thinking 99.

Get rid of the internet entirely and start up a new one from scratch .... and let the yanks to their own devices in their own little connected world.

This is basically what's happened to the GPS system, where the Europeans planned their own sat navigation system to disassociate themselves from the vagaries of US security fears.
Even tho the US defence forces haven't used SA in the GPS system for years, there's still no guarantee that they will again.. diluting the accuracy of the GPS network.

While the internet servers may be controlled by US services, the actual physical comms systems are not.
Is there any reason a new network of servers can't run another concurrent network connection blocking access to US resources as a form of retaliation?

Kym
27-04-2012, 4:27pm

Sigh!

Some things that mean this law affects us directly:

We are hosted in the USA (as are many sites)
The USA controls IP addresses - that affects EVERYONE
The USA controls the DNS - that affects EVERYONE

As for Encyclopaedia Britannica being more detailed than online resources ... for a start EB has its own online version that has more content than its book version, let alone another few million web sites.

Edit:
We are currently having issues due to being wrongly blacklisted by M$ live/hotmail. Imagine being globally blocked?

Kym
27-04-2012, 4:30pm
@AK InterWeb V2 is being built now ... http://www.internet2.edu/ :cool:

ameerat42
27-04-2012, 4:46pm
(Anybody for a Flat Earth meeting?)

old dog
27-04-2012, 4:57pm
I`m packing my bag and heading back into the cave......:(

ricktas
27-04-2012, 5:03pm
Graeme, do you want my tin foil hat?

fenderstrat1963
27-04-2012, 5:22pm
I recommend making your own tin foil hat - you never know whether a borrowed one has been tampered with. There are plenty of howto sites on the Internet... Oh, wait,,,

I @ M
27-04-2012, 6:06pm
I recommend making your own tin foil hat -

No way!!!!!

I just googled the company brand of tin aluminium ( NOTE, not aluminum ) foil that we have in the cupboard and it is made in China from Australian aluminium ore.

There is now way I am risking my heads protection to a company with only a two star ancap rating!!!!!!!

Thank god for good old Uncle Samuel, the net ( it wasn't available in the paper edition of the Encyclopaedia Britannica as the relevant pages appear to be stuck together with a dead cockroach ) and being able to access such valuable data, without it I may have been subjected to a damaging neutrino attack, grown two heads and been called a Tasmanian. :rolleyes:

Darey
27-04-2012, 8:11pm
I dunno if this Yank threat to access to the Internet is a real worry to me, and I don't really care about Encyclopedia Britannica:(
If I need info on anything I'll just ask The Wife SHE KNOWS EVERY BLOODY THING. :lol: :th3:

I @ M
27-04-2012, 8:24pm
If I need info on anything I'll just ask The Wife SHE KNOWS EVERY BLOODY THING. :lol: :th3:

Please ask her if tinfoil is linked to alzheimers or premature senility as my hat seems to be blocking reception from the wireless router.

ricktas
27-04-2012, 8:28pm
Please ask her if tinfoil is linked to alzheimers or premature senility as my hat seems to be blocking reception from the wireless router.

Funny, mine is picking up everything, most of it is not in English. Even think I tuned into the under-wire bra of the old dear down the road.:D

Darey
27-04-2012, 8:44pm
I&M,
I went to ask the missus but I forgot what to ask her before I got to her. :D

sunny6teen
27-04-2012, 9:05pm
unlimited control over the whole world-wide web

Holy crap. I had no idea things had advanced so quickly. Well, I better be off. I've got to time travel back to the 80s and save Sarah Connor.
I'll be back.

p.s.
I'll try to score some mint vinyl whilst I'm there.

ricktas
27-04-2012, 9:12pm
I wonder what the implications of the US blocking a country's internet would be?

I wonder if they have seen what happened in the middle east in recent times (Egypt, Lybia, etc) and how the use of social media and mobile tech helped rally the public in those countries. Maybe the US sees that the next wars are going to be fought by the people, not by the governments and they are worried.

Oh and it would not all be about OIL would it?

wmphoto
27-04-2012, 9:19pm
I wonder what the implications of the US blocking a country's internet would be?

Imagine all the kids out playing in the streets. :lol:

BTW - Encyclopedia Britannica is now only produced in digital form, no more paper versions.

Mark L
27-04-2012, 9:24pm
"......President Obama threatened to veto the bill." Suspect, if needs be, he will. Though that could all change later this year.
What you people have really made me worry about is the hat I've been wearing!

arthurking83
27-04-2012, 10:15pm
My tin foil hat didn't work as I expected!

Dunno what happened really ... it could be another one of those US governmental conspiracy plots against me.

... or it may have been that I shouldn't have hidden in the oven ... in a tray, with my legs behind my shoulders ..... and left the oven on at 220°C for an hour and half!

me and my half baked need to modify proven ideas. :rolleyes:
(well at least I got a decent tan now for the winter months)

Chris G
28-04-2012, 7:54am
Graeme, do you want my tin foil hat?

I was drinking my coffee when I read that and guess were that ended up? :lol:

Tommo1965
28-04-2012, 8:39am
read the wiki link....so this bill is aimed at online piracy ?...things like pirate bay and the other torrent site ?

what other knock on effects would it have ?

I cant see how the demise of torrent sites would be that bad...or any other types of online fraud or piracy ...but im not sure of the added implications either

ricktas
28-04-2012, 9:21am
read the wiki link....so this bill is aimed at online piracy ?...things like pirate bay and the other torrent site ?

what other knock on effects would it have ?

I cant see how the demise of torrent sites would be that bad...or any other types of online fraud or piracy ...but im not sure of the added implications either

The thing is legislation already exists regarding software/copyright theft. Why not amend that legislation to include provisions of reporting by ISP's etc?

I @ M
28-04-2012, 9:28am
I was drinking my coffee when I read that and guess were that ended up? :lol:

Secondary use for tin foil hats ----- catching spat coffee? :D

Kym
28-04-2012, 10:08am
Give the US congress some power and they will use it to throw their weight around.

They still have an embargo on Cuba, today no trade, tomorrow no 'net for Cuba?
Technically not that hard to do.

Bottom line it is bad law! Will it affect AP or me? highly unlikely. But it will end up being used for political purposes.

NoSideshow
28-04-2012, 11:00am
Moderator: Whats all this got to do with Australian Photography? Its obvious some members have nothing better to do than trawl forum threads for a soapbox.
Go outside and take some photographs!

ameerat42
28-04-2012, 11:06am
Moderator: Whats all this got to do with Australian Photography? Its obvious some members have nothing better to do than trawl forum threads for a soapbox.

The forum you posted in is called Out Of Focus and is a platform to air issues and topics that have no relation to photography - of any nationality. In fact, it is quite the place where you may express ideas such as yours. Where else would you have posted that?

Here you can rant, rave, and generally be immoderate...
Your admonition to perform photography is well catered for almost everywhere else.
A(he)m.

ricktas
28-04-2012, 11:14am

Umm. this thread was started by a moderator. Funnily, several members have asked to see some of your photos. So put up or shut-up.

I @ M
28-04-2012, 11:14am

Member: What has all that got to do with discussing a very relevant subject on an internet forum? Its obvious some members have nothing better to do than complain about other members use of a place to express their views.
Go outside and take some photographs, come back inside and post them on here for critique and while you are about it offer some constructive critique on other photographers work.