PDA

View Full Version : Skipping stones.

Ezookiel
23-04-2012, 11:46pm
On the weekend I set the camera to highest speed multishot, then took some handheld pics of a mate and his son skipping stones at a river.
It made me think about how to get all the skips into a single shot, and to be honest I'm not sure I've thought up a working solution.

A long exposure might get all the skips, but would blur the thrower and the splashes (and wouldn't have worked that day as it was midday and way too bright (I don't yet have an ND filter))
Stacking the images would possibly work had I been using a tripod, but these were candids taken unexpectedly at a picnic bbq lunch on a 4wd trip, so didn't have half my gear with me. Lots of fast shutter speed shots to capture sharp clear splashes, and then stack them all. Of course then I'd have to work out what to do with the multiple "positions" the thrower would be in in a stacked image. I'm guessing pick one and mask out the others in the layering?

If I was to stage a similar photo with more of my gear on hand, how do I get the multiple "skips" in the image, and especially get them so that all the "splashes" are relatively focussed. I'm guessing a large aperture for maximum depth of field, and pick a position that minimises the distance differences from photographer to the first and the last splash? i.e. not behind the thrower where there will be an ever growing distance difference for each skip, but maybe fully side on to the line of splashes.

Open to any ideas. Especially if the whole thing is even worth considering for the likely result ... i.e. ... is it worth all that trouble for what will really only be nothing more than a photo of a person skipping a stone on a river.

algywt
23-04-2012, 11:52pm
Take the shots on a tripod, then select the area you want copied over to the main image in photoshop (use the lasso tool and just copy it over. repeat for every image. just dont recopy the image of the thrower

Ezookiel
23-04-2012, 11:55pm
Such a simple solution. Of course, it means learning more about Photoshop, but that's part of the reason for taking photos - to learn more - which includes more about PP.

ameerat42
24-04-2012, 9:59am
In case you want to :violent10:)]||me||[ for this I have activated force fields: Use (HD) video mode and select and stack individual frames.
]||Am.||[