PDA

View Full Version : Photos at the Beach

NCooper
23-04-2012, 3:36pm
Hi,

A friend has asked me if I can take some family photos for her at the beach. Would love any tips or advise on how to get a nice family photo in this environment. Also any tips on where I should be and my subjects should be in relations to the sun.

ricktas
23-04-2012, 5:40pm
Firstly, I moved your thread. The New To Photography Critique forum is only for threads with photos, that members want critique and advice on

Now, we need to know what gear you have, what lenses etc so we can advise what to use.

However, take the photos early in the day or later in the afternoon, the light is nicer, not so bright (people don't squint as much), use fill flash (if you have a flash unit). Get then to pose well, posing people properly is half the hard word done, learn how to direct people to how you want them to stand, sit, lie, etc

As for where they should be in relation to sun, you don't want their faces in shadow, but you also don't want them squinting into bright sunlight.

KHo
23-04-2012, 10:16pm
yeah, a flash could be handy at most times.
try capturing the natural moment of people as well
good luck!

NCooper
27-04-2012, 1:02pm
Hi, I have a cannon 500D with battery pack and speed light. The photos are going to be taken about 12:30ish as they are going to a wedding and want some photos while all dressed up. They have a 3 yrs old and a 7 month old. Were thinking of going to Mereweather beach or Nobbies (Newcastle)

ricktas
27-04-2012, 1:25pm
Shooting in the middle of the day, in bright sunlight in Australia is fraught with issues. The harshness of our sun and the less than flattering light in the middle of the day will really be your biggest challenges here.

Do you have an assistant or someone who can come along and help? I would suggest a set of 'reflectors' (http://www.hypop.com.au/accessories/reflectors.html) might be your best option, rather than flash, at that time of day.

MissionMan
29-04-2012, 9:34am
You may want to consider a circular polarizer as well.