PDA

View Full Version : Assistant Photog

Stingray
23-04-2012, 11:54am
OK, tried searching threads, a lot about being the main photog and none came up about being the assistant, so asking here :)

I recently tagged along to photograph a wedding shoot as the assistant photog, mainly to gain an idea of what happens, what's expected and for the experience.
This has shown me that although I had fun, I probably wouldn't want to be the main photog and have that responsibility (yet)
:)
How ever, in saying that, I would love to work as an assistant.
My question is if I wish to follow this path, what sort of fees/pay (hourly rate? ) would one expect?

Thanks in Advance

ricktas
23-04-2012, 1:06pm
Depends! Work in a big city and for a high level wedding photographer and you will be paid more than working for the local part-time wedding photographer in a small country town.

Work for someone who charges $10K for a wedding and you will get paid more than someone who charges $800.00 for a wedding.

It is all relative, and therefore you are not going to get a definitive answer like $75.00 an hour.

Stingray
23-04-2012, 1:12pm
LOL.. thanks rick ..
I had already thought that might be the case... maybe I should have put more thought into the q?.. lol
I suppose the gist is - I don't want to work for peanuts (i know.. who does.. LOL) nor do I want to request too much and not get any work :)

ricktas
23-04-2012, 1:25pm
So look around your area and find the wedding photographers. Then get on their websites and see if they have a pricing page etc. Research! Once you know what someone is charging to shoot a wedding, they you can try and gauge what they might pay an assistant.

The other thing is that many decent photographers will already have an assistant or three on their books, you have to get past them, to get a foot in the door, and then be better than them to get regularly called to assist. The best thing someone wanting to assist can do, is make sure their photography skills are A+, their editing skills are A+, their presentation (personal) and communication skills are top-notch. Simply, you have to be better than everyone else who might want the job.

Stingray
23-04-2012, 1:57pm
Thanks.. yeah .. I had already looked at what wedding photogs prices .. they dont tend to list what they pay their assistants tho (LOL) ..
Think I will have a chat with photog i worked with and see if he liked the work i did and offer my services for other shoots if he wants an assistant :) and see what eventuates :)

jasevk
23-04-2012, 10:37pm
Over here in melb, some of the high end photographers do not pay a single thing for assistants. They get inundated with requests to assist, and many of those who request, are willing to work for free to learn from them.

There are also a couple of high end photographers here in melb who have been known to charge the people who want to assist them. So it's not ALWAYS relative!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD