PDA

View Full Version : Lens / lenses

pjs2
21-04-2012, 6:58am
I have been asked to take some photo's at my brothers wedding. Not happy but what to do. Out of my gear list down below which of these lenses would I use. I dont want to take them all up. Just the ones that will get me by.

Thanks
Peter.

ricktas
21-04-2012, 7:12am
i would go the 18-55, the 50mm and the 70-200. 18-55 for group shots etc, 50mm for detail, dress, shoes and 70-200 for those candid moments where you dont need to be in the subjects face to get the shots

dieselpower
21-04-2012, 7:17am
What aperture is the 18-55? If it's fast (f/2.8) and sharp I'd consider not taking the nifty 50, especially if equipment space is an issue.

camerasnoop
21-04-2012, 8:23am
Tell me you're not going to use the pop-up flash. I'd be using the 100 macro for the detail stuff and some portraiture. The only one I'd leave at home would be the 150-500. Borrow another body.

Kym
21-04-2012, 8:29am
I'd do some (a lot of) planning first.
Look at this: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=Genre:Wedding_Photography_Check-list

If possible visit the venues in advanced.

If in a Church arrange to meet the minister for a tour and take some test should to get an idea of the ambient light and discuss the use of flash.
As the 'official' tog flash should not be an issue

Look at some wedding magazines and wedding photos here for some ideas on posting and setup in general

pjs2
21-04-2012, 8:30am
Hi and thanks

3.5-5.6 on the 18-55. This is his second time around and it's on a budget I think. I'm hoping he is not relying to much on my photos. Have told him that if his wedding turns into a footy game he may get some keepers. I was always going to take the 70-200 but was unsure about the shorter ones. I was only hoping to take two up with me, dont like to cart everything around everywhere but the three Rick mentioned makes sense. It's a at home wedding and reception so light will be a big factor. I am not diong any staging of people (well I dont think I am) just being a sniper shooter.
Cheers
Peter

I have been having a peek at some wedding sites and dont think that I'll be able (will try) for that quality of work. I don't have any off camera lighting but will practice with a few defusers. If no good I promise I wont use the pop up ;)

ricktas
21-04-2012, 9:09am
I am not diong any staging of people (well I dont think I am) just being a sniper shooter.
Cheers
Peter

Oh yes you will be. You will soon find you have play director as well as producer along with photographer. Be prepared to tell people how to pose, how to stand, to get out of shot, etc etc.

ameerat42
21-04-2012, 10:47am
I wouldn't normally answer a thread on wedding photography, because though I have done it a few times long ago, I now leave it to experts. There are some points I must comment on, though.
I agree with most of what has been said above. Assuming this is going to be an important record of the event, even if somewhat informal, then:

1) Take as few lenses as possible. From your list, I'd say the 18-55 and the 100, AND ALSO:
2) Take a 2nd body and mount one lens on each.
3) Take a separate flash unit.
AND
4) DO Not assume you will cover it adequately by taking "sniped" candids. You and the party will surely be disappointed with the results.
5) If you do not take some control of the pictures you take (per Rick's info) then you will be lucky to get many good shots.
6) Do look at what "normal" wedding photography entails BEFORE deciding on what departures you will take.

Good luck with it (glad it's u and not me).
Am.

fillum
21-04-2012, 11:54am
"take some photos" is a fairly broad brief. If you haven't already done it, first thing I'd be doing is finding out exactly what your brother and (more importantly :)) his bride want covered. Make a list...

Maybe see if you can arrange to shoot the detail stuff (rings, etc) before the wedding day (or is that bad luck?), which might mean you won't need the macro at the wedding itself.

Maybe investigate hiring a faster ~17-50 and speedlight (at your brother's expense of course :)).

Try and make room for one of the didges :D...

Good luck...

arthurking83
21-04-2012, 12:28pm
I'd do as Rick suggested.

Aperture is unimportant if you are using the 18-55 for group shots .. you'd be an idiot to use f/2.8 for 18mm and a wide FOV unless you are shooting in the dark with no other lighting at all!

Set it to f/5.6 and forget it.

100mm macro may produce great detail for detail shots, but it's wasted detail!

50mm will be a better all rounder in the long run.
You will also use it for portrait shots too .. and for detail shots, set it to f/2-f/2.8 and get as close as you can to get decent blur and good sharpness.

70-200 is long for many closed in group situations, but will still come in hand .. if only to announce yourself to the crowd to part them to get your shots.

if you aren't planning on playing director, producer, general, colonel, marine and MC all at the same time to control the crowd, they will simply get in your way!
They will notice a large 70-200/2.8 lens and usually tend to get out of the way .... every little bit helps.

pjs2
22-04-2012, 7:57am
Oh yes you will be. You will soon find you have play director as well as producer along with photographer. Be prepared to tell people how to pose, how to stand, to get out of shot, etc etc.

Have been with the same woman for thirty years and when she says :angry0: " Don't think that you are going to leave me taking to your mother all day while you swan around taking photo's" :angry0:you listen.

I wouldn't normally answer a thread on wedding photography, because though I have done it a few times long ago, I now leave it to experts. There are some points I must comment on, though.
I agree with most of what has been said above. Assuming this is going to be an important record of the event, even if somewhat informal, then:

1) Take as few lenses as possible. From your list, I'd say the 18-55 and the 100, AND ALSO:
2) Take a 2nd body and mount one lens on each.
3) Take a separate flash unit.
AND
4) DO Not assume you will cover it adequately by taking "sniped" candids. You and the party will surely be disappointed with the results.
5) If you do not take some control of the pictures you take (per Rick's info) then you will be lucky to get many good shots.
6) Do look at what "normal" wedding photography entails BEFORE deciding on what departures you will take.

Good luck with it (glad it's u and not me).
Am.

1. tick
2. No second body to take. A trusty little s3is is my back up.
3. None available.
4. I've told him to expect nothing so it can only get better from the start.
5. I will try to get the eyeballs looking in my direction.
6. tick.

Many thanks