PDA

View Full Version : Sorry to say it, but.... Nikon wins it

Chris G
19-04-2012, 11:42pm
Nikon D800 beats the Canon 5DMK III

DxOMark verdict (http://nikonrumors.com/2012/04/19/dxomark-verdict-nikon-d800-95-canon-5d-mark-iii-81.aspx/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+NikonRumors+%28NikonRumors.com%29&utm_content=FaceBook)

Though what does surprises me here is that the D800 even beats the 5D III in low noise as to what I've seen the 5D III did alot better..

perhaps its over all ratio as to the different size of the images..

THIS IS NOT A FLAME THREAD.. As much as I'm going to have * removed, read the site rules*

Dark Mist
19-04-2012, 11:49pm
And that's without taking the Canon's no cost extra of light leaks into account.

Chris G
20-04-2012, 12:11am
D800 vs D700 vs 5Dmk III

Here (http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/%28appareil1%29/795|0/%28brand%29/Canon/%28appareil2%29/792|0/%28brand2%29/Nikon/%28appareil3%29/441|0/%28brand3%29/Nikon)

swifty
20-04-2012, 12:20am
DXO's suppose to be measuring RAW data so I guess in best case scenarios and given all the time in the world, D800 would win in just about any parameter.
But Canon have shown excellent real world results, particularly in jpegs.
Now I know jpegs often get written off but for time-critical applications, superior in-camera processing's no gimmick.
So if the mysterious 1Dx sensor turns out on par with the D4 but has superior jpegs, I wonder which sports tog has the advantage?

ricktas
20-04-2012, 6:18am
i really see no point in these threads. in 12 months time Canon or one of the other brands will leap frog and be in front again. chest beating over your gear just does nothing.

Kym
20-04-2012, 8:46am
Hmmmm K-5 is still the best APS-C at 1/3 the price :)
It also pips the III by 1 point :p

i really see no point in these threads. in 12 months time Canon or one of the other brands will leap frog and be in front again. chest beating over your gear just does nothing.

As long as its light hearted I can't see a problem.
Lets face it even the entry level cameras are not being used to their full potential,
i.e. its our skills that need to improve.

Chris G
20-04-2012, 9:00am

it's just geeky tech talk with figures meaning not much to most with ultimately the same result in the end, being that it comes down to the photographer :)

Just another autobot Vs decepticon or Intell Vs AMD or Kmart Vs Bunnings that I'm sure will continue for many years on end lol

Of course there's always going to be something better, how else would technology evolve? ;)

mpb
20-04-2012, 12:33pm
It doent matter how good your camera is, if you are an average photographer you will still take average photos.

If you are a great photographer you could probably take great photographs with a cardboard box, a pin and some film.

gerry
20-04-2012, 2:17pm
what about the video? Canon has crapped all over the D800 here...

This is a shootout of the new Nikon D800 and Canon 5D mkIII DSLRs, with a focus on the video quality in particular. More more detailed info, you can read my write-up of the tests at http://www.crisislab.com.

http://youtu.be/AfA2mTMt0u8

wheellathe
20-04-2012, 2:45pm
Im with ricktas. Besides that my Hammer is better than yours

kiwi
20-04-2012, 2:50pm
I always like it when Nikon win...makes me feel good about my brand, I see nothing unusual. If you own a Holden you probably like them winning Bathurst too.

swifty
20-04-2012, 3:52pm
Disregarding the overall score as a comparison tool, DXO analysis is useful in that it tells you characteristics of the sensor in your camera. Eg. In a D800 you get excellent DR at base but falls off fairly linearly with respect to ISO gain whereas D4 and D3s sensors retains DR better at higher ISOs.
Knowing what to do with the info will help you be a better photographer.

ving
20-04-2012, 4:26pm
lol, this is so funny. its all a matter of opinion and like butt holes everyone has got one.

Bear Dale
20-04-2012, 4:52pm
I always feel a little bit sorry for the non Canon and Nikon users.....they must think they're REALLY left out!!!

But anyway all this is moot as Canon of course is the best?

at being the most goddammed expensive at the moment!!!!!

MattNQ
20-04-2012, 5:07pm
Maybe Nikon users should thank Canon....If it wasn't for the 5DII, Nikon probably wouldn't have bothered to try sandwich all those extra megaPickles into the D800, or even give it video.....then Sigma owners should thank Nikon their cameras got cheaper so they can afford to wax lyrical about their sensors, then Sony users should thank Nikon for buying Sony sensors and propping up the bottom line...and then...die hard Canon users should thank Nikon for all the second hand lenses being sold by the fence jumpers and it goes on...

Competition is a good thing - they would all get lazy otherwise and we would end up with generic Woolworths Select cameras as boring as a Toyota, but in the end it's like one big family from Tasm....er ...Herberton North Queensland... they all need each other...and are all inter-related in ways you do not want explained...:eek:

If I missed offending anyone, let me know & I'll do a special thread to include you! :D:D:D

Kerrie
20-04-2012, 7:51pm
"I always feel a little bit sorry for the non Canon and Nikon users.....they must think they're REALLY left out!!!"

Ummm."......no. Ferrari doesn't compete with Holden or ford.....it's that's sort of thing :D

Kym
20-04-2012, 9:07pm
"I always feel a little bit sorry for the non Canon and Nikon users.....they must think they're REALLY left out!!!"

Ummm."......no. Ferrari doesn't compete with Holden or ford.....it's that's sort of thing :D

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?14432-Photographic-Humor-(Jokes)&p=714070&viewfull=1#post714070 :lol: