PDA

View Full Version : Wanna fly the Space Shuttle

William
19-04-2012, 10:46am
Here's a 360 deg view of the Cockpit of the Shuttle , A lot of buttons and switches

http://360vr.com/2011/06/22-discovery-flight-deck-opf_6236/index.html

ameerat42
19-04-2012, 11:09am
It reminds me of this line*

"The thing's hollow—it goes on forever—and—oh my God—it's full of..." LIGHTS!

(And now my head's spinning:()

*From 2001, A Space Odyssey.

old dog
19-04-2012, 11:33am
wow......not bad Bill. I`d like a ride in THAT.

Bennymiata
19-04-2012, 9:02pm
Those seats look very hard to me!

Ezookiel
20-04-2012, 11:32am
Technically it's not a 360 degree view, it's actually a 129,600 degree view, 360 degree x 360 degrees.
Would be better if it was higher resolution so that when you zoom in you can read the button names. I can't work out if one of the ones on the roof is "BAD CNTRLR" (1 and 2) or "GAD CNTRLR" (1 and 2).
Maybe the co-pilot flicks on the "Bad Controller" when he has lost faith in the pilot.

The button near it marked "Cabin Relief" could conjur up all sorts of ideas as to what that does.

With all those switches to learn, I'm surprised anyone knows them all. No wonder there aren't a hell of a lot of people that can put "Shuttle Pilot" as their occupation!!!

Bennymiata
20-04-2012, 3:13pm
It isnt really that hard to learn what the buttons are for.
They are grouped according to the various systems of the craft, and many of them are duplicated for the pilot and co-pilot.
A lot of the ones overhead are more than likely circuit breakers anyway, so these pop out when they go, and just need to be pushed back.
Some of the buttons and knobs are for altering the colour display screens to show you what you want them to, and in case of something going wrong, the displays will change automatically to let you know.

Very similar to any large plane, with just a few extras, so most pilots would feel at home anyway.
The big difference is in the engineer's seat, as most modern airliners don't use engineer positions anymore.

andrewvid
21-04-2012, 11:08pm
wow! a heck of alot of buttons! a good place to say "i wonder what this red button does?" lol
it's great! thanks for sharing