PDA

View Full Version : Sony reported to have lost US$6Billion last year

Bennymiata
11-04-2012, 10:30am
I heard on the news this moring that the Sony Corporation is about to announce a US$6Billion loss!

I had heard that they are finding things tough, but $6,000,000,000 is a hell of a lot to lose.

I wonder if this will have much effect on their digital cameras and their supply of sensors to Nikon and Pentax etc.?

The reports didn't say where the majority of the loss occured, like movies, music or electronics, but it's sure to hit them very hard in all areas of their business.

arthurking83
11-04-2012, 5:23pm
I'd say the loss is more along the lines of property and business valuations that have been 'masked' up until now in their financial reporting to the relevant national body.

Now with the Olympus saga almost over, you'll probably find that they've brought forward previous devaluations for the purpose of clarity.

Basically, it could just be a byproduct of the GFC that's catching up with them.

Bennymiata
11-04-2012, 7:37pm
You could be correct Arthur, as there was no mention if the loss was from the operations side of the business or not.

I guess with property prices plunging in the US over the last few years, the losses could have come from their re-valuation.

At least making a $6B loss means they won't have to pay much tax for a few years!

arthurking83
12-04-2012, 9:20am
Maybe4 a year or two... I'm sure that Sony still has the size of market presence that will allow them to make their multibillion dollar profits again in a year or two..

I'd say by 2014, they'd have recouped this loss, and once again they'll be back in a situation where they can then waste money again to minimise their tax liabilites! ;)

mechawombat
15-04-2012, 1:40am
Dont forget they lost months of revenue when the Thai floods happened

A77's were washed away, the whole of their digital imaging litterally could not keep their head above water

Steve Axford
15-04-2012, 6:07pm
Arthur, there is a lot written in the financial press which does not support your theory. Sony have been running a loss for 4 years and have serious problems that go far beyond a simple write off of property values. Their stock has almost halved in value over the last year. They will probably be able to trade out of the mess, but it is still a mess.

Here's a link
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/apr/10/sony-doubles-full-year-losses

mish13
17-04-2012, 7:17pm
All my gear is Sony so hopefully they are not going anywhere

Boo53
17-04-2012, 7:23pm
Their new CEO came out about 10 days ago & stated their core business areas going forward will be Imaging, games, & phones

“Sony is reinforcing its development of image sensors, signal processing technologies, lenses and other key digital imaging technologies in which it excels, and plans to leverage these technologies in both its consumer products (such as compact digital still cameras, digital video cameras and interchangeable lens digital cameras) and broadcast and professional products (such as professional use cameras and security cameras) in order to further strengthen and differentiate Sony’s overall product line. The Company also plans to extend the use of these key technologies across a wide range of business applications, from security to medical, to further expand the scope of its digital imaging business. Sony will target total sales of 1.5 trillion yen and double-digit operating income margin from the consumer, professional and image sensor businesses by FY14.”

Mark L
17-04-2012, 7:58pm
.. I'm sure that Sony still has the size of market presence that will allow them to make their multibillion dollar profits again in a year or two..

That's probably right, though I can feel another Kodak moment ............

Bennymiata
17-04-2012, 9:26pm
Their new CEO came out about 10 days ago & stated their core business areas going forward will be Imaging, games, & phones

“Sony is reinforcing its development of image sensors, signal processing technologies, lenses and other key digital imaging technologies in which it excels, and plans to leverage these technologies in both its consumer products (such as compact digital still cameras, digital video cameras and interchangeable lens digital cameras) and broadcast and professional products (such as professional use cameras and security cameras) in order to further strengthen and differentiate Sony’s overall product line. The Company also plans to extend the use of these key technologies across a wide range of business applications, from security to medical, to further expand the scope of its digital imaging business. Sony will target total sales of 1.5 trillion yen and double-digit operating income margin from the consumer, professional and image sensor businesses by FY14.”

Does this mean they won't be making anymore of those Aibo(?) dogs?
Nikon and Pentax users can now sleep at night seeing as they continuing to make sensors.

I @ M
17-04-2012, 9:35pm
Nikon and Pentax users can now sleep at night seeing as they continuing to make sensors.

Don't forget the Canon owners as well --------

sunny6teen
17-04-2012, 10:24pm
have they checked down the back of the sofa? that's where I lose mine.