PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading D3000

wildboy
10-04-2012, 1:05pm
Hi everyone, currently own a D3000 which I bought as a kit from JB going on 2 years ago now, before heading on a trip to the US for a couple of months, loved the camera for starting out and was at the right price at the time, and resulted in some pics from the trip I was very happy with at the time. Have been getting into the use of CS5 of late too and been seeing some amazing pics on here and places like flickr etc and so far have resisted the urge to upgrade on the spur of the moment like I seem to do with all my other electricals. I have been reading all the reviews of the latest cameras like the D800 / D4 etc etc, and wow they look fantastic, but I dont think I really need to be purchasing something in that category as yet....

I have bought a couple of extra lens such as the Sigma 70 - 300 & AF-S 35mm 1.8 so should I stick with the DX format since I'd still consider myself as progressing from the novice stage? Or sell everything and move to full frame? As much as I'd love to rush out and buy a D800, I am interested in landscape / seascape photography as well as the general family stuff, kids at sport, gatherings etc. Would a D7000 be a substantial increase in quality? What would you guys recommend?? Your thoughts all appreciated in advance!

Tommo1965
10-04-2012, 1:13pm
have you hit the limitation of your camera ?......I have a D300s and I have ..in the high ISO area..so that's why I want to upgrade..plus I want more more dynamic range .

ask yourself how many times have you hit the limit of your current set up ?

ricktas
10-04-2012, 1:21pm
Based on the only photo you have shown us on AP : http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?101037-Niagara-Falls-First-attempt-at-HDR

I would suggest you learn how to use the D3000 more and get your processing skills up further, before considering an upgrade. A new camera is not going to make your photography or post processing any better.

Harsh, but true

swifty
10-04-2012, 5:58pm
1. Invest in yourself (could be just time, not necessarily $$)
2. Invest in supporting accessories eg. A good stable tripod for landscapers, remote release etc.
3. Invest in speciality lens (almost always better than jack-of-all-trade lenses).
4. Invest in better body/sensor.

You can swap the orders round a bit but 1. would almost always go on top. Cos once you've invested adequately in 1. you'll pretty much know what's next on the list to invest.

arthurking83
10-04-2012, 10:22pm
from what you've described here, there are two paths for you;

a D7000 will help you with aspects like focus speed and accuracy. This will help at kids sports and family gatherings and stuff.
It won't help so much in a landscape/seascape situation tho. While there will be a slight gain in pixels and dynamic range, a better quality lens(and filters etc) will probably give you better bang for your bucks.

But considering your other requirements too, a D7000 is still a going to be a great step forward.
Just don't expect massive improvements in your landscape images with a simple body upgrade.

knumbnutz
10-04-2012, 11:30pm
I agree with the other comments.
A camera upgrade is nice and D7000 is a very good camera and worth upgrading to, but quality images come from skill and experience.
Keep educating yourself and improving because that will bring about the most dramatic improvement in IQ.

MattNQ
11-04-2012, 1:24pm
Hi Wildboy,
I hear where you are coming from, as I have love/hate relationship with my D3000.
For sport I hit the limits of the D3000 constantly, both ISO-wise & the fps/buffer performance.
For landscape, I find lack of mirror-up annoying, and live view would be handy sometimes, but the main limitation was my kit lens.

Before you get a better body, keep in mind that quality lenses will push out the body limits further than you think.
I picked up second hand a Nikon 80-200/2.8 and Sigma 14mm/2.8, and have got better shots than I thought possible out of the D3000 body.
Lack of motor drive can be a pain, but it sure improves your manual focus techniques!

I suggest you follow Thom Hogan's advice, which is along the lines of that already offered above by the others.
Start with yourself & your technique, then consider better lenses before you look at a new body.

http://www.bythom.com/blame.htm

Keep practicing your skills. Here a couple of samples of what you can do with a D3000 with a decent lens

Midnight Blues (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?100640-Midnight-Blues-now-in-full-color)

Stone Maidens (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?100271-Stone-Maidens)

rodw
11-04-2012, 2:02pm
I reckon Matt is on the money. Spend the money you have put aside for a new body on lenses and wait until you hit the limits of the D3000. I'm still using a D40 with about $4-$5k in lenses. It makes an enormous difference!

For a lot of my shots, I am not at it's limits but often I am frustrated becasue of the limited ISO, dynamic range and limited ability to crop a 6 Mp image so the D800 is on order. With a few more Mp you have on your D3000, you should be able to last a bit longer.

A decision to upgrade to FX will cost a lot more for the lenses (as I know). My first decision was what format will I use long term? I decided on FX. Then bought the lenses accordingly and my decison to upgrade the body more or less coincided with the D800 release and bank balance recovery so it is the logical choice.

wildboy
12-04-2012, 10:07pm
Hey guys, thanks for the tips, sorry for the delay in responding, all some very good points, but I prob should have added a few more details in the original post, yes Im still learning the trade and havent posted many pics on here, but i wanted a few more features on the camera such as the live view, and HD video recording capability, bracketing etc I have ended up getting the D7000 at a pretty good price, having said all that Im going to be digging in a heap more and investing in myself big time with this camera and looking fwd to sharing some with you soon hopefully, thanks again

wildboy
12-04-2012, 10:10pm
Hi Wildboy,
I hear where you are coming from, as I have love/hate relationship with my D3000.
For sport I hit the limits of the D3000 constantly, both ISO-wise & the fps/buffer performance.
For landscape, I find lack of mirror-up annoying, and live view would be handy sometimes, but the main limitation was my kit lens.

Before you get a better body, keep in mind that quality lenses will push out the body limits further than you think.
I picked up second hand a Nikon 80-200/2.8 and Sigma 14mm/2.8, and have got better shots than I thought possible out of the D3000 body.
Lack of motor drive can be a pain, but it sure improves your manual focus techniques!

I suggest you follow Thom Hogan's advice, which is along the lines of that already offered above by the others.
Start with yourself & your technique, then consider better lenses before you look at a new body.

http://www.bythom.com/blame.htm

Keep practicing your skills. Here a couple of samples of what you can do with a D3000 with a decent lens

Midnight Blues (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?100640-Midnight-Blues-now-in-full-color)

Stone Maidens (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?100271-Stone-Maidens)

some great shots with the D3000 there Matt

arthurking83
12-04-2012, 10:38pm
H..... having said all that Im going to be digging in a heap more and investing in myself big time with this camera and looking fwd to sharing some with you soon hopefully, thanks again

All good wildboy.

Investing in yourself is as easy as foregoing the telly at night after work and investing a a cheap macro lens and shoot stuff at home.

Learning to be more proficient with the tools is a good way to start.

And now because you have a D7000, you also have the ability to mount older manual lenses, set them up in the cameras memory and they can help you to meter.
The reason I mentioned getting a macro lens, is because at very close distances, using manual focus is generally the way to do it.

This helps you to learn focus, and the balance between DOF, blur, art and all the associated tradeoffs required to get it all together properly.

You can find very decent performing old ais type lenses for about $50 or so on ebay every now and again.
Liveview allows you to focus a lot more accurately nowadays with manual only lenses .. they help to keep you on your toes(in a manner of speaking).

MattNQ
12-04-2012, 10:38pm
Thanks wildboy. The D7000 is a very good camera - you will enjoy it. Looking forward to seeing your pics :)