PDA

View Full Version : How to reduce photo size for USB/Internet

Katt
05-04-2012, 2:28pm
Hi All,
I am by no means a tech person & thought I had managed to successfully reduce the size of my photos through the Canon Digital Photo Professional software. I selected the batch process and chose the width as 2,000 pixels. Perhaps I am way off track here as when trying to move to a 16GB blank USB, I am only able to get 2-3 photos on it before it tells me it is full.
I do also have Elements 9 but do not know how to reduce the size of the photos.
Can anyone tell me the easiest way to do this so I can share my photos?

Thanks,
Katt

Warus
05-04-2012, 3:07pm
I think you have more than re-sizing issues going on. On my 7D shooting RAW gives me a 20-30Mb image so even at the largest size I could fit 530 images on a 16Gb drive. I would make a guess you are shooting jpg images and as these are compressed they are only around 5Mb so you should be able to fit 2,000 images before you even bother re-sizing. Are you sure the USB is actually empty? Are you sure it's 16Gb not an old 16Mb one? For web I generally re-size to 1024 on the longest size for most forums and usually only 800 high on verticals as it fits nicer on screens. I don't have elements but it's probably EDIT>Image size.

ricktas
05-04-2012, 3:18pm
In the AP forums, under the TUTORIALS is a resizing photos for the internet tutorial. It can be easily converted to use with Elements (its written for PS)

Mark L
05-04-2012, 9:50pm
Using DPP you can also reduce you file size by reducing the Image quality setting.

Play with that.

farmer_rob
05-04-2012, 10:53pm
Watch what you are saving the file as. Saving as psd files can get real big, real quick. Photoshop elements doesn't make it obvious - too many odd questions such as "you have to save it as a copy with these settings" (Well duh. What does it think I was trying to do?)

I save as jpeg, and use the following settings - longest side 1024 pixels, save as jpg, quality between 8 and 10. I find this gives files about 250 to 350 kb in size.

Regards,
Rob