PDA

View Full Version : Sigma APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM

Chris G
31-03-2012, 12:25am
Ok I was going to buy the Nikon version of this lens in the VR II range but I ended up with going all out on on the Nikon D800..

Is there anyone who has used/is currently or would recomemed this lens (Sigma APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM) as the next best thing on a buget
compared to the Nikon 70-200mm VR II?

edit: Sorry to add less confusing, this lens would be used as a portrait / wedding lens in the near future.

Cheers

Chris..

Kym
31-03-2012, 6:11am
I think atky has one?
The reviews on this lens are good.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-70-200mm-f-2.8-EX-DG-HSM-Lens-Review.aspx
http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/sigma_70-200_2p8_os_c16/6

MarkChap
31-03-2012, 6:21am
I have the canon mount version, sharp, quick focus, very happt with my choice

Sent from my GT-P1000T using Tapatalk

arthurking83
31-03-2012, 6:52am
I think as a portrait lens it'll work well for 'ya.
Not perfect and not as good as either Nikon lenses(both VRI or VRII) but in most pictures you'd be hard pressed to see most differences.

DxO haven't given it a very good score, but this is not because it's simply not sharp, the overall score on DxO takes into account many factors.. such as vignetting edge sharpness and so on.
For most portrait shots edge sharpness is not as important as central sharpness because in most situations you're looking for subject separation anyhow .. so don't take sharpness measurement numbers at face value only! Think about the situations you're going to find yourself shooting for and decide accordingly.

If money was no object then you'd be crazy to pass up the opportunity for the Nikon versions of this focal length but as it seems financial constraints have a role in this decision now, (if I were in your situation) then I'd give this lens a try. And with the money saved on this lens over the Nikon lenses, it allows you to purchase a few Nikon speedlights to add to your kit too!
The opportunity of adding 2 or 3 wireless speedlights to your kit too is not something to pass up lightly either! ;)

Speed of focus is an aspect of these lenses that may affect your decision too.
I've never used the OS version of this lens, but I've played with the older non OS version and I find focusing speed more than acceptable. But the Nikon is definitely faster. Whether you really need these extra few microseconds of focusing speed is a performance aspect that you have to decide on. Will it make a difference to getting a shot or not?(only you know this).
I've got the much slower Tamron 70-200/2.8 and I got to say I can't ever remember missing a shot due to slow focus speed .. and that lens is the slowest of the lot in terms of focusing.

If I were you, and in this situation, I'd give it a try. Keep it for some months at the least, learn it's idiosyncrasies and try to get the best out if it that you possibly can. If after months, and many hundreds or thousands of shots, you find that it's just not the lens you really wanted, sell it and get the Nikon.
That's the way I'd go about this particular lens.

kiwi
31-03-2012, 7:16am
Next best thing I think is a second hand 70-200 vr1

The new sigma 70-200 was European lens of the year and represents great value. Perhaps a smidge softer than the Nikon at 2.8. A smidge for most not worth the $1000. I've had a go at one in a store, I think it was as fast as my 70-200 practically.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ameerat42
31-03-2012, 8:49am
AFAIK, the "DG" means suitable for FF cameras. Is the Nikon one for FF?

Tommo1965
31-03-2012, 8:55am
....I tested the sigma OS before I bought my VRII...it was very good with decent sharpness etc..a good value lens....but Id just bought into the Nikon system because I wanted access to their lenses..so it seems silly to buy yet another third party lenses...if I were you id look for a good used example of a VR II or failing that a Vr I there's quite a few Nikon VRI on the gumtree in Perth..for around $1500 even a VRII for $1800.

there's also a bloke in Perth that's bringing in grey market Nikon and is selling a spanking new VRII for $2108....but with no Nikon warranty..just his own in house...he seems like a half reasonable bloke though with a good setup

http://mycamerafocus.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=2

good luck with your decision ...

both images are 100% crops

from a sigma 70-200OS version taken with a canon 60d 200mmF2.8

http://g1.img-dpreview.com/A3C7DE9A59D842889738B18941BFD745.jpg

from a nikon 70-200 taken with a d300s 200mmF2.8

http://g4.img-dpreview.com/FF90C5D25C8D48A9AC88BFABAB63FE34.jpg

Cage
31-03-2012, 9:07am
I have the previous version (no HSM or OS) in a Pentax mount and it is an excellent lens.

Sharp as a tack.

Chris G
31-03-2012, 9:18pm
Cheers everyone for all your vaild information definitely giving me something to think about..

I can't think how many times I've researched these 2 lens with the only real advantage of the VRII is being better in low light & sharpness over the Sigma version,
though of course from experiance I've usually switched to manual mode anyway as I found I could do a better job at times. Though I'am talking about
this being done on a Nikon D90 with a 24-70 F/2.8 doing nightclub shots.

Which leaves now leaves me with ok is the 70-200mm VR 1 just as good in dim light as the VRII.

And would it be worth picking up a 2nd hand VR 1 over a new and improved Sigma version?

Also I need to consider that I only have about 1300 to maybe 1400 to play around with.

Honestly I was going to get a Nikon D7000 + the 70-200mm VR II but with the Nikon D800 finaly being released and that all my lenses are FX /Full frame
I thought it would be better to upgrade to a full frame cam and start making proper use of the lenses lol. + well I just really wanted the Nikon D800 haha

arthurking83
01-04-2012, 8:06am
VR I's tend to sell for about $1500 on ebay from local sellers .. so if you have the $1400-1500 to spare then definitely aim for a Nikon VR I version as your first priority.

BUT!! at some of the reputable grey retailers the Sigma sells for about $1100 or so, and that $400odd savings buys you a whole lotta goodies too ;)
Sigma's local distributor should be able to give you a price match to that ~$1100 if you want to purchase through the proper channels too.

focus in low light should be fine on all three lenses anyhow and the D800 apparently has the most fantastic low light focusing ability(down to f/8 af ability, so focusing may not be an issue with any of the lenses referred too).

twix
01-04-2012, 11:15am
Hi Guys,
I am also look in to this kind of lenses in the moment i got the Tamron or the Sigma in my sight. The Tamron has offcourse no VC/OS version, but do I need the VC/OS for sport and Wildlife photography? If not I could save the money for a TC!
Cheers Klaus!