PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening. Camera or computer?

Mark L
27-03-2012, 9:52pm
So do people turn the sharpening setting way up in their camera and let it do the work? Or is it better to set it really low and up the sharpening during PP and let the computer do the work? :)

ameerat42
27-03-2012, 9:57pm
Do you mean on raw images? I thought it only applied to jpeg output (more question marks).
If I'm right, then the answer is clear.
Now I'm not sure if it applies to raw output as well (even more question marks).
?m

Mark L
27-03-2012, 10:25pm
Yes, it applies to raw (it's what I use).
If I set sharpening to 10 (out of 10) in camera, when I open it in DPP, sharpening comes up as 10, and can not be increased any more.
If set at 3, comes up as 3 and can be sharpened up to 10 using computer.

For those new to photography. DPP = Digital Photo Professional, the software that comes with all Canon cameras. A good, simple and free place to start to learn PP, I reckon.

dieselpower
27-03-2012, 10:46pm
If you open it in a raw processor other than what is supplied by the manufacturer then te sharpening settings from camera will be lost. Since I don't use the Nikon software I do all sharpening in post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

camerasnoop
27-03-2012, 11:02pm
Dieselpower is correct. The sharpening is not applied to the raw file. The setting is recorded for the preview JPG in DPP though for Canon users. I apply sharpening in ACR when converting to JPG. Some cameras require more sharpening than others.

ricktas
28-03-2012, 6:22am
Sharpening in-camera is applied across the entire image. Sometimes selective sharpening is the better option. Sharpening eyes, lips, jewelry, but not the rest is a good simple way to make a portrait pop. I often selectively sharpen, rather than sharpen everything, it tends to work better, leaving a lovely smooth creamy bokeh.

So I never use the in-camera sharpening options, always doing it in PP, on a layer and selectively.

Epoc
28-03-2012, 8:56pm
Selective sharpening is def the way to go. Also, sharpening should be last on your list in PP. eg if your photo has some noise, you def do not want to sharpen it until you've reduced it as sharpening it will make it much worse.

Mark L
28-03-2012, 10:22pm
Thanks for the replies.
mmmm
Will do some experimenting and possibly come back to this.