PDA

View Full Version : Needing some basic pointers on lightroom......

thenail
26-03-2012, 11:45pm
Hi All,

I freely admit that I'm a complete novice when it comes to PP..... so now that's out of the way :-)

I seem to be having issues at the point of import, the thumbnail images look visibly sharper before i click on them. The default preset seems to apply as soon as i click and display the image full screen in the second monitor and then the image gets muddy, colors wise and looses sharpness. I didn't have this problem with my 50D this seems to only be happening since acquiring my 1DmkIII.

Do i need to configure LR to handle the MkIII RAW files? Is there something I'm missing here?

I'd really appreciate someone assuming I'm an idiot and outlining a basic install/setup/import images step by step guide (including the bleeding obvious) for me!

Thanks in advance.

ricktas
27-03-2012, 6:32am
have you checked for updates to LR? You can also turn off the application of a preset on import. I did it ages ago to my LR, just google it to find the answer on how, cause I cannot remember.

As this is only happening to the one camera, what colourspace is it importing as? AdobeRGB tends to look flat and washed out if you are not running it in a suitable environment (ie its importing as AdobeRGB, but displaying in sRGB).

If you are a novice in relation to PP, get a copy of Scott Kelbys book "Adobe photoshop lightroom for digital photogaphers" for your version on LR and read it, all of it. It will give you a wealth of knowledge on how to use LR, from setting it up, to basic processing, to workflows for specific genre.

kiwi
27-03-2012, 7:16am
The thumbnail is the embedded JPEG and bears possibly little relation to the RaW file which as imported will have a default camera profile applied to it tha adobe ship. You can load different camera specific profiles that you an gar off the adobe website tha will apply more suitable profiles to match those in your camera, eg vibrant, as close as possible, but they are only adobes interpretation so aren't perfect

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kiwi
27-03-2012, 7:17am
I should have added that that the camera profile is quite a different process than the applying an import preset

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thenail
31-03-2012, 9:57pm
Thanks Ricktas!!
I will have to check into the colors space issues, i know the camera is set to adobeRGB but I'm not sure about import wise. I'll look into turning off the import preset, that's a good tip thanks :-) funny you mention that book, I was talking to a pro friend of mine about the issue and he went to his book case and handed me the very one and said the same as you! Read every page!

Thanks Kiwi, I don't know much about the profiles so I'll have to experiment with that.

Cheers guys.