PDA

View Full Version : adding an image onto a back ground CS5

Danielle10
25-03-2012, 12:06pm
I have 2 files open on cs5
1 is my photo and the other is a background image i want to use.
How do I merge the two??

I want the photo to be 8.5 in x 5.5 in
and the background to be 8 in x 12 in

Does that make sense?

i tried making a new layer and pasting the photo onto the background but they both come out the same size... aaargh!!!:angry0:

ricktas
25-03-2012, 12:10pm
Are they the same pixel dimensions?

You can use the MOVE tool. Just select move tool, go to one of the photos, hold down the shift key, and drag the image onto the other one, and release the mouse, They will 'snap' together as a layer, one on top of the other, then you need to start using layer masks etc to get them how you want.

EDIT: Just re-read your post, you need to make them the same size before you merge the layers, then adjust them once done.

jupiter618
25-03-2012, 12:16pm
Danielle, I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do but here are some tips that might help you. I suspect resolution might be a confounding factor.

Open the background file and make sure its size is as you want at the resolution you want it to be (Image, Image Size).
Flick to the foreground image, check that it's the same resolution and the size you'd like it to be.
Press Ctrl+a to select all, press Ctrl+c to copy the active layer.
Flick back to your background image and press Ctrl+v to paste the foreground into a new layer on top of the background.
Now, all being equal it should be centered on the background.
To make adjustments you can press Ctrl+t (for transform) and this will give you handles which you can use to move, resize, stretch and scale your foreground layer.
If you hold down Shift while you resize the layer you will keep your aspect ratio constant. If you don't hold shift you will stretch and distort the layer.

Does that help?

Danielle10
25-03-2012, 12:18pm
OMG thanks Rick - I think I did it!!!!!!
YOU ARE A GOD hahaha