PDA

View Full Version : Images for Logo/Business Cards

Giac
22-03-2012, 10:38am
I have some photo's I have taken at various amateur sporting events and would like to use them on a small logo, do I need to get permission from the people in the photo's before using them? The size will be very small and the individuals will not be recognisable, if that makes any difference. Thanks, Andrew

ricktas
22-03-2012, 11:58am
If you are using there image for commercial promotion (even if your own business), YES! Cause even if small, but someone recognises themselves, you could find yourself in court. They will argue that they do not support your business and you have used their image to promote your services/business, and that using their image associates them as 'approving' of your business activites, which they have not agreed to.

William
22-03-2012, 12:19pm
Hi Rick, Does that apply to a beach landscape image as well if you sell it ? Someone I know maybe better go and check all his saleable images :D

ricktas
22-03-2012, 12:31pm
Hi Rick, Does that apply to a beach landscape image as well if you sell it ? Someone I know maybe better go and check all his saleable images :D

Not really, cause the beach landscape is not being used to 'commercially promote' the business, or a product, etc. It is merely a photo of a public space that included people. However if this landscape photo was say bought by Coca-Cola to use to promote their product, then it could be an issue, cause the association between the people in the photo and the coca-cola product is tenuous.

Giac
22-03-2012, 12:33pm
Hi Rick, thanks for the info, I thought that might be the case but it's always good to get some advice from people in the know.

William
22-03-2012, 12:35pm
An Image bought by "Coca Cola" I wish :lol2:Thanks for the info mate :D