PDA

View Full Version : Nikon tripod quick release

Miss Jane
20-03-2012, 1:42am
I have a nion ballhead tripod with quick release tripod. Problem is I have lost the quick release. I have seached online for hours and can't find a replacement. There are no model numbers or anything on the tripod. It has a bag with it. Any ideas how to find another one.
I have a Sherpa tripod as well but the quick release doesn't fit the nikon one.

ricktas
20-03-2012, 6:27am
I have never seen a Nikon Tripod. So my guess is that it was a promotional product, probably made by a third-party and badged Nikon. Chances of finding parts are slim. Stick to the well known brands when buying tripods, and even then, in most instances, the parts are not inter-replaceable.

seastorm
20-03-2012, 10:26am
I had a look in eBay and found a Nikon tripod with the model number Ni400, would that be the same as yours?

Miss Jane
20-03-2012, 11:18am
Thanks it's not the ni400 it is much bigger and all black without the leg connector thingys. I didn't buy it. It came with the camera along with some other extras from a shop in HK. I might have to try and conmtact the shop at last resort.

arthurking83
21-03-2012, 10:11pm
...... I didn't buy it. It came with the camera along with some other extras from a shop in HK. I might have to try and conmtact the shop at last resort.

DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!!! :animal3:

It came as a kit from a HK grey seller?

There's a 99.9% certainty that the tripod is not a 'Nikon one' .. as with Rick, I've never hear of Nikon having sanctioned anyone manufacturing tripods or ballheads on their behalf.

What could happen tho is that a particular regional Nikon importer may outsource an accessory product such as a tripod, so the tripod itself is just another cheapie rebranded accessory that you could easily find from somewhere else.

as an example SEE THIS (http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/Products/SRO-Acc-Tripod-Adaptors/847/Full-Size-Tripod.html)

What this clearly shows is an accessory from a Nikon department, (sports optics in the USA) where they're selling a Nikon tripod, which is clearly marked with the brand name Slik.

ie. This regional importer is trying to cash in on the great accessory swindle by offering a Nikon product that is clearly not a Nikon sanctioned product.
Great accessory swindle is where a retailer will try to sell you products that you really don't need! The importers themselves are probably not immune to this phenomenon, and will try to shore up their bottom line any way they can.

So! I reckon you have two options:

1. get rid of the tripod and get yerself a proper tripod to begin with.

2. post a photo of the tripod head, with as much detail, but making sure that the entire quick release plate is in the frame. From at least two angles is better, more may be better again.
If your Sherpa(is that Velbon?) doesn't fit then you can discount Velbon as the actual manufacturer of the tripod. Could be a Slik(based on the link I posted). Could be absolutely anything!

anyhow... hope that helps.

seastorm
22-03-2012, 12:31am
There's this one I found on FleaBay - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Nikon-Camera-Tripod-65-w-Ball-Haed-Carrying-Case-Canon-Nikon-DSLR-SLR-/250922962955?pt=AU_TripodsMonopods&hash=item3a6c2c900b

Is this more like yours?

Miss Jane
22-03-2012, 12:52am
Seastorm yes the legs are the same but the ball head and plate are different.

Arthurking. I hear ya. It was actually bought in the shop in HK not over the net. And yes my other one is a velbon and it doesn't fit. My bro has the same tripod so he is going to sen me his plate so i can get pics and try and compare it to others on the net. I will get pics of mine soon (just broke my foot tonight) :(