PDA

View Full Version : Buying lighting help please.

AutumnCurl
14-03-2012, 5:00pm
I need some help choosing a lighting setup.

I have around 2000$ saved for this purpose.

I have a double garage - with wardrobes around the edges ( don't ever put stuff in storage and forget you own it and then get it all delivered ).

After i finish studying i wish to run my own business.

I am fairly on the go and travel a far bit, so portable would also be nice.

A lot of my friends are having babies and asking me to photograph them, so newborn friendly would also be good. ( the house has no natural light due to the way some moron built it with tiny windows and then next door building 2 story.

Im concerned about the space in the garage and have considered using a Sb-900,umbrella x 3 setup - however i do no know much about this and the same goes for LED lighting - please note that when growing up my stepdad always gave me LED lights or modified my toys to have them, so I'm kinda bias and draw to them, however I'm aware of the strength of light issue.

Something really important for me is that I would also like to buy from a brand that is worldwide, as the nature of my Hubby's job requires us to move sometimes, and i want the equipment to be able to serviceable.

So if i could have some kit ideas for comparison that would be helpful, thanks.

WhoDo
14-03-2012, 5:19pm
If you click on the Hypop (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/ads/details.php?do=load&mbid=1311902061) link anywhere in this site you'll go to our site sponsor for lighting. Personally, I like the Elinchrom D-Lite It 2 Go as a starter kit and the price is pretty good at under AUD $750. If you can't find it at Hypop then I can guarantee it will be available from Camera Warehouse, either online or in their Sydney store. I hope that helps.

Shelley
15-03-2012, 12:48am
I like Elinchrom lights - and their starter kits are good.

MrBling
17-03-2012, 5:24pm
As above, from what you've said, you can't go wrong with Elinchrom but I'd say the D-Lite 4 is the absolute minimum.