PDA

View Full Version : manfrotto and gitzo quick release plates

arnica
13-03-2012, 11:17am
Hi Guys,

Would anyone know if a manfrotto quick release plate will fit on a gitzo head?

Cage
13-03-2012, 12:03pm
Nope, not without one of these adaptors.

http://www.gitzo.com/series-1-5-arca-stule-quick-release-adapter-a-b

or

http://www.gitzo.com/arca-style-quick-release-plate-adapter

Cage
13-03-2012, 1:50pm
Phil, completely disregard my above reply.

Dunno what I was thinking. I have gone from Manfrotto to Arca Swiss mounts so I got befuddled. :o

Sometimes our desire to be helpful can be the opposite.

Kevin

arthurking83
13-03-2012, 9:10pm
From what I remember of them(both), the long style RC5(Manfrotto) plates are compatible with the long video type Gitzo plates.

The smaller square type Gitzo plates look to be too different to the Manfrotto RC2/RC4 type plates .. but I don't know.

I have Manfrotto RC2 plates and RC5 plates.
The RC5 type Manfrotto plates are longer slide in type, as opposed to the RC2/4 style that have more of a drop in type action.
(when I got my plates, way back when, they used to be called RC5, but now it seems to be called the 501PL which is a video type head, which it is originally. It is commonly found in their photo product lineup tho..... just a name change or something)

The Gitzo equivalent plate is called the GS5370MC. This particular type of plate/clamp system is compatible across the two brands.

Any other plate/clamp type system from either manufacturer is unknown whether they are compatible.

If you describe what plate types/models you are enquiring about maybe we can be more specific.

IF you are looking to change your quick release plate system in a wholesale manner, I'd highly recommend the Arca Swiss system from almost any manufacturer of repute.

A much more configurable(if slightly more expensive) system for sure :th3:

Geoff Port
12-08-2012, 11:14pm
Arthur, a question regarding QR heads but not related to this threads subject.
When purchasing a ball head with QR does the QR plate come with it or do you purchase that seperately?

arthurking83
13-08-2012, 11:43pm
A.....
When purchasing a ball head with QR does the QR plate come with it or do you purchase that seperately?

It depends on the manufacturer.

With RRS, they don't even supply a clamp, unless you opt for the more expensive version of the ballhead.

In some ways this is good(sounds weird, but true) .. and is a good indicator to the fact that the gear is aimed primarily at the more pro market.
These guys will already have a batallion of plates, clamps and other stuff that will simply attach to the top of the bare shaft on the ball.

With RRS, they sell the clamps as you like, and you don't save all that much money in getting the bundled ballhead/clamp as you would in getting them separately.(I think about $10-20 tops??)

BUT!! also in them having this facility, you can also opt for a 'better' clamp.

eg,. you can get the RRS BH-55 with a standard clamp as per their website and the clamp in the specs is only 60mm (wide or long depending on your perspective).
But they also offer an 80mm clamp as another product, as well as the standard 60mm clamp.
But they don't offer the option of the BH-55 + 80mm clamp as a full product, as they do with the head+60mm clamp.

So if you want the 80mm clamp, you need to purchase the head and clamp separately.

(hopefully this all makes sense)

The other alternative is that you may not want a QR clamp at all, and may want to attach a specific type of camera attachment device(micrometer clamp or whatever else).

BUT in all this the RRS range of ballheads do not come with QR plates(that attach to the camera).

The other cheaper branded products, from the likes of Feisol, Benro, etc all come with ballhead, clamp and at least one QR plate.

I'm not sure about the other higher end brands(such as Kirk, Markins, Acratech, Arca Swiss) .. I think you need to order a clamp separately.

And it's because of that, I ordered the majority of my plates from a manufacturer called HejnarPhoto.
He has some good products, highly recommended, and I liked his incarnation of the L bracket, which is a two part design. Annoying for access to the input/output ports on the side of the camera, but I don't regularly access them so this is not an issue for me. But that side section of the L-bracket is removable, and I always keep the allen key in the bag anyhow, so if I ever wanted to access the side ports, it's easy to remove it. but then again you can remove the side section of the bracket, and you have a standard camera plate(if this is more suitable).

One thing I really don't like now is camera plates with rubber or cork 'padding'.
It kind of seemed counter intuitive, but it was also explained to me that the rubber or cork padding on the bases of a plate actually help to induce vibrations in certain circumstances!
If you think about it, it makes sense!
All the top end plates will have bare metal plates that your camera or lens attaches too, and this provides a rigid connection between camera(or lens) all the way dawn as far as the rigid part of the setup allows!.
Having the rubber, or cork pads between camera and QR plate, allows the camera to vibrate even tho the head, plate and tripod are all rock solid!.
When you spend thousands dollars on rigid support, the last thing you want is a rubbery connection somewhere between camera and support.

Geoff Port
14-08-2012, 11:00am
Thanks Arthur, Very informative and helpful.