PDA

View Full Version : Top 3 things you could add/improve in your business now that could bring more customers

Hypop
12-03-2012, 10:43pm
Hi all,

Paul here from Hypop.

Just wanted to ask everyone here what would be the top 3 things they could add to their business now that could help bring more customers. It could be something like a better website, better lighting equipment, better camera equipment, larger portfolio etc

Thanks all! :)

ricktas
13-03-2012, 6:28am
A D800...hehe

Seriously, I would say a better marketing idea. Something to get my name out there to untapped markets.

rustylongbeard
13-03-2012, 10:28am
Get out there and show yourself to anyone and everyone.
Advertise, you and your product (eg weddings, portraits etc)
Have aportfolio of your work ready to show to prospective clients, and dont be afraid to push yourself.

Dan Cripps
14-03-2012, 9:57am
1. A better understanding of who their clients are.
2. A better understanding of who their clients are not.
3. A better understanding of the difference.

johndom
15-03-2012, 9:52pm
Zeke is as always all over it. Most improvements would have nothing to do with cameras or lights but more targeted marketing with an understanding (and ownership) of your niche.

Redgum
16-03-2012, 2:34pm
More money perhaps? Then everything else is possible.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Hypop
16-03-2012, 4:48pm
thanks guy for your response.

how would you guys rate the importance of a website?

ricktas
16-03-2012, 4:52pm
thanks guy for your response.

how would you guys rate the importance of a website?

A website is good if people can find you, or know your name/site address first. People will not google 'fred smith photography' if they haven't heard of Fred Smith Photographer to start with. People will generally scope out friends/relatives etc first and then use the information they get to google..your name etc.

I think a website can be an important tool in the marketing of your business..but you first have to market yourself and your website. No use having a website if your photography/attitude is not good. Word of mouth will soon see people telling others to avoid you, and then a website mean diddly-squat. It is part of a whole package, if it compliments everything else in your approach, then it is a good, worthwhile investment.

kiwi
16-03-2012, 5:22pm
SEO is king

People will not google john smith photography but will google "Ipswich wedding photographer" and you'd want to be top of the hit list or at least top 20

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

johndom
16-03-2012, 8:25pm
highly

Kym
18-03-2012, 5:57am
SEO ... Google 'Australian Photography'... we are #2 after the paid for Google advert magazine.

:cool:

achee
22-03-2012, 2:26pm
What 3 things... hmmm...

1. A broadly experienced, wise, actively-involved-in-the-industry, positive and helpful mentor. Someone who could take me on their shoots, point me in the right direction with sales, business admin, technique... then help me fine tune it. And would encourage / kick me in the butt.
2. More up-and-go (motivation, not drink) to make use of the quiet periods (like now... I was going to do my accounting...)
3. Ability to think bigger.

Equipment - yeah, there are a few other bits of equipment I'm hoping to get soon, but I can't say they are holding my business back.
Website - I agree with what is said above. Actually, I could put more effort into my websites...

Redgum
22-03-2012, 2:57pm
Achee, I wouldn't wait around for No.1. At best you're going to have to pay for advice (that's always part of the business model) and it would be hard to imagine any successful business person trading hard earned knowledge for nix. Why would they?
Points 2 & 3 are easily fixed and are the difference between being poor and being wealthy.

KeeFy
22-03-2012, 8:17pm
Equiment says squat to the layman. They can't tell a pro lens from a kit lens and a Pro body from a entry level. Obviously you know the difference and it helps you get better photos but the customer don't care what you use to get the result, as long as the result is good.

Obviously you need good enough product for a customer to buy into. Then it's all about advertising to your target audience. SEO as kiwi has said is really really a big thing and it's not that easy getting up there in the top few. People usually don't go past the first page or maximum the 2nd page looking for stuff.

I know some folks here don't believe in social media but trust me it works. I've got friends working for social media companies and it's been proven that social media does get your branding out there.

Be prepared to lose some $$ to make more. Offering "freebies" is one form of getting more brand awareness.

Just my .1 cent worth

reaction
23-03-2012, 3:51pm
Social media works for established firms, but how many weekend warriors have used social media to setup a 'fred smith photography' page to start with? I think there's a danger of putting up a poor site when you're clearly a low level amateur trying to gain 15min of fame. Once you get the wrong image out it's very hard to change.

I say this as a person who's seen many 'fred smith photography' pages where clearly they haven't even worked out how to use exposure compensation yet.

Also I've seen lots of deal sites where a $1000 photography session has been discounted to $20 with 5 free prints or sth. I'm sure it gets sales but is it the image you want (for the rest of your life?)