PDA

View Full Version : Aussie Space Program ???

fillum
09-03-2012, 11:51am
I thought this (http://www.news.com.au/technology/sci-tech/one-small-step-for-man-one-giant-leap-for-the-lego-space-shuttle/story-fn5fsgyc-1226293453156) was cool...

Cheers.

ameerat42
09-03-2012, 12:02pm
Something about it, isn't there...

ricktas
09-03-2012, 12:12pm
That is inspirational

Bennymiata
10-03-2012, 10:53pm
And I always thought that the Aussie Space program was clearing out the shed. :D

fillum
12-03-2012, 11:41am
And I always thought that the Aussie Space program was clearing out the shed. :D
:D

Clearing out the shed? Has that actually happened? Sounds un-Australian to me...:D

Cheers.

Ezookiel
16-03-2012, 5:44pm
When I saw this on the news, I wondered how they got the images sent back over that distance. Now reading this, I wonder not how they got the images back, but how they got the GPS data back to themselves over that distance. The thing was up to 40kms up. That's a long way to transmit for a radio small enough to fit on a weather balloon one would think. They not only had to transmit back to earth the position, but receive that information while chasing the thing, probably across country, and probably over a substantial area, in order to get to it and recover it?
Boggles the mind. I guess directly down through the atmosphere, with no hills, terrain, buildings etc getting in the way, it's probably not too hard to transmit those distances, but still seems remarkeable.

Bennymiata
17-03-2012, 11:30pm
In space, radio waves travel forever!

That's why all those radio telescopes around the world are listening for radio waves from not only other stars, but distant galaxies too.

Ezookiel
18-03-2012, 10:24am
Yeah, except they'd be travelling down through the atmosphere, so probably not going to travel downwards quite so well. Not sure they actually truly reached space either, otherwise the whole lot would have melted on the way back in. But if they were close to space then the signal would travel outwards forever, so one day the local aliens will be able to hear the gps coordinates of the lego shuttle - of course, by then it will be a bit late, as the owners have long since collected said shuttle, and retrieved the footage.