PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D5000 - Help required - Camera not powering up

Caity
01-03-2012, 9:48pm
Hi all

I really need some advice or assistance with my Nikon D5000.

I was about to start a thread last week to find out what I could do with my camera as the auto focus setting was not working through the view finder. The photos were focusing in the end but when looking through the view finder it was just a blurred image.

Now the camera itself has stopped working completely. I took 2 photos last night then it died, thought it was the battery so I recharged it again overnight but the battery seems to be fine and fully charged but camera still wont power up at all.

Has anyone had this issue before or have any suggestions for me?

I am hoping this will be easily fixed but it doesnt seem to be looking good.

Caitlyn

ricktas
01-03-2012, 9:58pm
Take it into Walch's in Macquarie Street and let them have a look at it for you.

Caity
01-03-2012, 10:48pm
Thanks Rick, that is quite close to my work I think just up from Murray street isn't it? I will drop it in tomorrow I'm hoping it's nothing major!!! :(

ricktas
01-03-2012, 10:52pm
yep just up from Murray. They are good.

Caity
01-03-2012, 11:07pm
Great...appreciate a lot! fingers crossed its something little!!

Bennymiata
02-03-2012, 7:35pm
Just a little tip with batteries.

Don't charge them overnight.

You'll kill them pretty quickly if you leave them on the charger all night.
You are better off to take the battery off the charger when or just a little while after the charger tells you it is fully charged.

Same goes for phones or any other chargeable battery.
Trying to pump more charge into them than they are designed to take will damage the cells even though when fully charged, the charger reverts to trickle charging them.

Caity
02-03-2012, 11:54pm
Great thank you that is useful to know! I shall remember that when I get my camera back... Dropped it in to be looked at today going to miss it!

Caity
11-03-2012, 10:22pm
No luck with the camera.., they beleive the main board has gone in it so don't think it's worth fixing when the repairs would end up being close to what the camera is worth! So now I have to either buy a new one or pay for the repairs.

ricktas
12-03-2012, 8:27am
No luck with the camera.., they beleive the main board has gone in it so don't think it's worth fixing when the repairs would end up being close to what the camera is worth! So now I have to either buy a new one or pay for the repairs.

ouch. do you have it covered on insurance? your contents insurance may have cover for electrical/circuit failure

Caity
12-03-2012, 3:46pm
I have to look into that tomorrow I am not sure if it will be covered on that or not or if I took out an extra cover for my camera. That will be my last resort though. Wasn't a great start to the weekend when I found out this news!

Caity
19-03-2012, 1:55pm
Looks like insurance are going to cover my camera. I've got the option to get a D5100 (so one up from my D5000) or get the cash and put that towards something else. Any thoughts? I was still happy with the D5000 ( so assuming the D5100 will be fairly similar to that) I don't know that I really need to upgrade any further for any other reason. But didn't know whether its worth getting something else whilst I have the chance. Am planning to go check out the latest models in stores at lunch to get an idea of whats out there.

ricktas
19-03-2012, 2:06pm
If you liked the D5000 then the D5100 is the next step, unless you want to go to the Dxxx series, and look at an older D300 etc. The about to be released D8000 is just over $3K, so a bit of a step up, in price.

Caity
19-03-2012, 2:29pm
Ok so the dxxx series would be the next step up I might take a look into that to get an idea thank you!
But As you say because I was happy with the d5000 the d5100 will probably more than do for me. While I have the opportunity I'm just on my way now to see what's out there and check the d5100 will be ok for me! I really appreciate your help and advice with this rick