PDA

View Full Version : Has this happened to you

wedgtail
27-02-2012, 2:32pm
I have just finished a small commission to Photograph a 2 year old , my client picked the location a local fenced play ground and set the time for the shoot.
I thought i had all the bases covered ,checked with local gov no permit required to shoot there , Googled the park to give me some idea of the layout,checked with my insurance to make sure i was covered all good .
On arrival on time met my client and had her sign the release form, introduced my self with my client to the other play area users and explained my reason for being there with a camera once again no problems.
The shoot went well I changed to a longer lens to try for those magic natural shots all parents want of their children. Finished organised a time for viewing my client left the area with me to go to her car I waved goodbye then stated to pack my gear into my car and thats when the Police rolled up . Apparently when i was working with the longer lens a passer by had reported me to the Police, it took a phone call to my client to finally clear things up not a pleasant experience . Has anyone else had this problem any suggestions on what to do if I take on more work of this nature.

jjphoto
27-02-2012, 3:01pm
Yes, it happens. It's happend to me a few times, only once with respect to shooting near kids, but mostly it's the 'you must be a terrorist because you have a camera' mentality. Get used to it, if you can.

http://ih3.redbubble.net/image.8738998.3296/fig,heather_grey,mens,ffffff.jpg

Or you could buy the T-shirt (http://www.redbubble.com/people/jjphoto/works/6053296-terrorist-photographer-1-black)!

If I'm in a situation where I think there's a reasonable chance of either 'security' or Police having an interest then I actually make the first contact (a quick phone call to the local Cop Shop for example) and make my presence known. It's saved me lots of hassels over the years.

JJ

kiwi
27-02-2012, 3:36pm
Yes, happened to me a few times too. Police are usually quite OK when they know you're legit...disappointing that they assume the worse though, but I guess its better safe than sorry :rolleyes:

ameerat42
27-02-2012, 4:36pm
I guess you can expect that. The thing is that the experience may not feel good. (Imagining myself in it.) But then I suppose you could say that everything "worked" fairly well: a "concerned" passer-by, the police duly checked, and everything ended up OK.
Am.

zollo
27-02-2012, 7:13pm
actually everything didn't work quite as it should, seeing as how in australian law, the general public - including children - do not have the right to not be photographed in public spaces. the coppers should have known that and may have, however, the caller also may have embellished the 'crime in progress' a bit:rolleyes:

ameerat42
27-02-2012, 7:20pm
Well, if you know about the law, good, enlighten us. But as for the thought processes of the other parties involved, well, there is faster-than-light travel that they show in Star Trek.

wedgtail
28-02-2012, 12:28am
One suggestion made by a friend was to show an over sized ID my picture copy of recent police clearence web address contact number all on A4 and laminated suggested wording at top pf page Professional Photographer working . Is this going to far.

wedgtail
28-02-2012, 12:30am
Thanks for the advice JJ will do that next time .

reaction
28-02-2012, 4:49am
wear one of those fluoro yellow workman vests
you can get/make one with the word 'photographer' on the back

aweiss
21-03-2012, 10:03pm
Gotta love Australia - the "police state" ... :-).

Sad to hear about your experience. Not that you were sneaking around and taking photos with your zoom lens of strangers. I think you did a great job with the release form and telling other about your shoot. I like the idea with the yellow vest (even if I hate these things) ... might work. Informing the police upfront is also a great idea but who would do this in your situation :-). Just don't worry ... you have done everything right.

achee
22-03-2012, 2:09pm
Wow... No that has never happened to me, but I could imagine being rather annoyed - somewhat annoyed at the 'concerned member of the public' for being so paranoid, and possibly more annoyed at the police if they were making unreasonable accusations or demands. I'd almost be annoyed enough to want to take a bunch of photographers down to a busy beach with long lenses just to make a point... but no, I wouldn't do that.

So how did the police handle the situation?

wedgtail
23-03-2012, 12:36am
The Police were good not reactionary they have a tough job to do I now inform them If I am shooting in this area. I actually gained work from some of the parents who were there on the day.
so there is a silver lining in those clouds after all :)

Analog6
23-03-2012, 9:28am
Join AIPP (http://www.aipp.com.au) as an subscriber/enthusiast member (http://www.aipp.com.au/imis15/AIPP/What_We_Offer/AIPP_Membership/Subscriber/AIPP/What_We_Offer/Subscriber.aspx?hkey=e051806c-1215-411b-9f87-f8966e0768fe) and keep the resultant card with you at all times (the magazine subs you get are well worth the annual fee). It shows you are a legitimate photographer and associated, at least, with a professional organisation. Also have some business cards printed up . You had the release form, did you show that to the Police?

They are not harassing you, they are just doing their job. If they had not checked it and you were a pervert that would be far worse.

Sobriquet
08-04-2012, 9:35pm
It's never happened to me, are you all guys that it has happenned to?

jjphoto
08-04-2012, 9:45pm
It's never happened to me, are you all guys that it has happenned to?

If a female is shooting at a busy beach with a long (tele) lens would she be accosted by strangers or accused of being a pervert?

What about a male in the same scenario?

JJ

kiwi
08-04-2012, 10:58pm
You know the answer

It's called stereotyping

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wayne
09-04-2012, 3:30am
I would simply laugh at the cops, ask them if I'm under arrest and when they say no (because I haven't committed an offence) I would ask if they have reasonable cause to believe I have committed an offence (then ask them to clarify if they answer with a yes) and if they have no reasonable cause, I would thank them for their time and send them on their way with a friendly reminder that by even making me believe I have to stay there and talk to them, that would be tantamount to arrest and thus unlawful detention. I would not take kindly to police making assumptions, and nor would I take kindly to be questioned without reasonable cause.

You will find most police will not know the law regarding the taking of photos in public or private places, especially with regard to children. Many may have their own idea, which they may try to impose on you as law, but if you know what you are talking about they will soon realise that tactic isn't going to work and that they are dealing with other than the average joe.

And just so I don't sound like I'm giving the police a hard time, I have walked a few miles in their shoes...